Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28 -- At the Health Getaway

The Health Getaway has been fabulous so far. Last night we got a lecture on the Certification program for Nutritional Excellence Counselors (NEC). I'm really excited about this. We have to take an exam and then we can become counselors and help people adopt this healthy eating program. I have a fabulous job and career already but I feel so passionate about this that I want to do this too. I think we can change how people eat, and even though it's an uphill battle at this point, it's worth the effort because it will save so many lives.

I've been learning a lot too, even though I've already devoured all of Fuhrman's books, lectures, teleconferences, and newsletters. He's been reporting new information and reinforcing the old. For example, I already knew nuts and seeds are good for you but after his first lecture, I realized I don't eat enough. Then in yesterday's lecture he presented new information about beans. Wow, they are an amazing food. So I will incorporate more of those in my diet. Since I feel uncomfortable eating large quantities of beans, I will try eating smaller portions more often.

The meals have been fabulous of course. I was expecting that. They are buffet style and consist of salads, soup, beans, berries, fruit, nut butters, nuts and seeds, cooked entrees, and at lunch and dinner, some sort of dessert. Here's an example from last night's meal

The salad spread: lettuce, beans, dressings, nut butters, seeds, tomatoes, avocado:















More salad spread: berries (this was right at the end of dinner, so the strawberries were almost gone), snow peas, nut butters, vinegars, melon, etc, soup at the far left (last night was quick and creamy vegetable bean):
















Roasted Mixed Vegetables


















Cauliflower Spinach Mashed "potatoes" (no potatoes!), a favorite on the forums:

















plain ole' steamed spinach. Gail had hers with D'angou pear vinegar and loved it:













No pasta vegetable lasagna. I've been wanting to try this and finally got to without even having to cook it. It's good.














Dessert was blueberry fig sorbet:


















We've been so engrossed in our own world for the last few days, I forgot what everyone else usually eats, but I was reminded as I passed by a wedding party spread. Here's the bar:













Here's the hors d'oeuvres (I had to look up the spelling of that one). okay in case you can't see this, from top left to right is meat slices rolled up in cheese slices. crackers and breadsticks, meat slices (salame?), crackers and breadsticks, is that a veggie at top right? yes, I believe so! grilled sliced zucchini I think. not bad. probably with oil and salt though. Then the bottom row is cheese.















We had great hors d'oeuvres the first night. bean dips in little pieces of lettuce (baby bok choy perhaps?). some red pepper type salsa in little lettuce wraps--I didn't get to taste those. this great coconut, lime drink. and a cantaloupe drink I didn't get to try. yummy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

Thanks for posting pics of the getaway. I couldn't get away this year but I hope to next year!

I enjoyed seeing the buffet of ETL food and your enthusiasm about the certification program.

Can't wait to hear more.

Susan (from Dr. F. forum :-))

kneecap said...

Hi Susan!

good to hear from you. I love reading your food posts on the forums. okay, I'm posting an update soon I hope.

-barb