Monday, June 29, 2009

June 29 Getaway Update





























This bird was fishing for dolphins. It was fun to watch her watching the dolphins. Her eyes were bigger than her stomach.

The highlights for me today were the lecture by Dr. Fuhrman of course--this one on diabetes--and the cooking demo with Lisa Fuhrman and Chef Charlotte. Everyone, as far as I know, including the Fuhrmans, loved Chef Charlotte. She was fabulous. She was given the guidelines for the eating program several months ago but not the recipes (I think that's what she said). I think this was brilliant because she then proceeded to come up with recipes of her own, such as watermelon gaspacho soup. She gave us lots of tips about produce and utensils and improving on recipes. She improved on the caesar salad dressing by roasting the garlic in orange juice. Here's Elija and Lisa preparing for the lecture. I hope they don't mind my posting this. It just conveys the excitement!















They demoed a chocolate smoothie, a cashew-orange dressing in which they didn't have oranges so it turned into a mango lime dressing and it was great. We got to taste test them, and the flag cake:











It was really good! I don't like baking, but my friend Gail said she would do it. So I'll have to visit her sometime when she's making one.

7 comments:

Tough Chick said...

I love the Eat to Live Plan and have been thinking about becoming a member on the website.

Do you think it is worth it?

kneecap said...

wow, someone else from Madison who loves ETL? That is great. Do you know anyone else? I was thinking of starting a meetup group. Anyway, I can tell you why I like being a member and you can see if that applies to you. 1) I like being able to ask Dr. Fuhrman for advice. Most doctors don't know anything about healthy eating and only want to prescribe drugs so I don't trust their advice and avoid them like the plague. But sometimes I have a question I want to get a reasonable doctor's opinion on. 2) I have learned a tremedous amount from the newsletters and telecons--good supplemental information to the books. 3) It is a nice social network, and makes me feel like less of a freak. Now I've got to the place where I don't care about that but it took effort to get there and the forums helped me. 4) I get good advice on the forums, usually from reading other's questions and answers, sometimes from posting my own.

-barb

Shez said...

Barb, do you think you could share the new recipes you received? Last year's gazpacho is our favorite cold soup. I'd love to try the watermelon one.

kneecap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kneecap said...

Here's what I wrote down for the watermelon gaspacho:

Ingredients:
2 cucumbers peeled
1 watermelon
some mint
zest of lime
small amount of lime juice (optional)

I think that's all! blend most of the cucumber and watermelon in the blender. save some to chop up and add to the soup.

That's sort of what she described. With the flag cake, here's a recent thread from the forums that discusses it:
https://forums.drfuhrman.com/view_topic.php?id=20036&forum_id=6&highlight=flag+cake

and for the caesar dressing, that's from the forums, but Chef Charlotte roasted the garlic in orange juice and didn't add the nutritional yeast.

Tough Chick said...

I think that there are a few of us. I used to weigh over 300 pounds and lost a bunch of it by essentially starving myself on the typical american diet.

I joined the MBG and one of the trainers recommended that I read ETL and the China Study. I never made it through the China Study, but ETL really resonated with me.

I adopted the plan at about 70% and lost another 40 lbs. Sadly, over the last 3 years, I have only been following ETL at about 40% and have gained back the 40lbs.

I re-read ETL last month and have been reading your blog.

I actually decided to join the forums 2 days ago and have been reading and listening non-stop. I realized that is the push I needed.

I would love to start a support group and can think of a few people that are interested, but feel like it is impossible.

kneecap said...

Touch Chick,

Sorry for the delay responding. I'm definitely interested to start up a "Nutritarian Meetup" group in Madison. Some people at the Getaway started up one in New Jersey and I just sent them email asking for advice. They work for Dr. Fuhrman and probably have some useful tips to offer. Send me email if you want to communicate more easily and perhaps meet up ourselves: bwhitney@chi-squared.org.

-barb