Thursday, December 18, 2008

dec. 18 food

Breakfast:  blueberry-cherry-spinach smoothie.  this had nuts but no banana since it was only a 5 oz bag of spinach.  I made it last night, makes 2 16 oz smoothies, froze both, then thawed one overnight.  I ate it in between exercise class and hair cut.

Lunch:  red beans and ... salad.  I meant to make red beans and rice but forgot to buy rice at the grocery store.  Housemate was really looking forward to rice so I'd better get some ASAP, after the predicted big snowstorm passes.  So I put it over chopped salad greens (lettuce and baby greens).  To add a little boost of flavor I soaked some chopped dried fruit (apples, apricots, mango) in some of the bean broth,  and added some to our bowls.  also added a chopped red pepper.  I really liked this.  Housemate wanted rice.  I will get some tomorrow I hope.  I'll post this as a recipe because I liked it.

Dinner:  this was not a success but I think I know what to do in the future.  I cooked up 2 small beets and half of a large sweet potato (chopped) in a small amount of water.  ate this over...what else, chopped salad greens.  too dry.  here's what I'll do next time: take half the beet, sweet potato mixture and blend with water and cashews to make a sauce.  pour that over the salad greens with the rest of the beets and sweet potato.  I'll try that next time.

No comments: