Thursday, December 18, 2008

red beans and salad

One of my old favorite recipes is red beans and rice, and fatfreevegan.com has a great recipe for it.  I made it today and forgot to buy rice, so had it over salad.  I really liked it.  

Ingredients:
red beans (from fatfreevegan.com)
chopped salad greens (lettuce, arugula, baby greens, spinach, or whatever else you have in the fridge)
some dried fruit (apple, apricot, mango, etc)
if you have a fresh red bell pepper, that's good too, chopped up.  or some cucumber would probably be good too.  

chop the dried fruit and soak it in some warm bean broth for 15 minutes, or microwave for 30 seconds.

Pour the red beans over the salad, add in the chopped dried fruit and red bell pepper.  I thought this had more flavor with the dried fruit.   I don't eat salt anymore so sometimes old favorite recipes can taste a little bland without something to perk them up.  

5 comments:

Howard Veit said...

kneecap,

I like your blog. I am curious about your attitude about rice. I love rice but Joel says not to eat it. I do cheat on that 1 or two times per week. Life would be darkness and chaos without rice.

Howard (Rossman)

kneecap said...

Hi Howard,

I like rice but I find I can do without grains, and since greens are more nutritious I'd just as soon eat them. However, I love sweet potatoes. Life would be darkness and chaos without sweet potatoes. :) So I eat those as my treat instead of grains. I thought Joel was fine with one grain or starch per day. So I would think 1-2 rice servings a week would be fine!

-barb

Howard Veit said...

Sweet potatoes are fine on the ETL, I think. I like them too.

Gaining weight in the winter? I used to until I switched from lacto/ova veg to ETL. Now my weight stays within 2-3 pounds, at least it has since I started last June. The cold weather does make me hungrier for some reason, but no weight gain yet.

The hardest thing I have with ETL is missing desserts. Oatmeal raisin cookies and fruit pies were a staple. I have quit cold turkey. Not easy.

kneecap said...

I don't think I gain weight in winter anymore either. I think you are right to go cold turkey on the desserts. I seem to have a problem with allowing myself a little and then not stopping. This didn't used to happen to me before ETL (since everything was allowed perhaps) so I have to learn a new mechanism to deal with it.

Howard Veit said...

Not craving sweets is a miracle. First time in my life I can bypass desserts while everyone else indulges. Dr. Fuhrman deserves the Nobel Prize.