Monday, December 15, 2008

dec 15 food

Breakfast:  blueberry-cherry-banana-walnut salad.  This is the same as the blueberry-banana-walnut salad with a half bag of cherries added.  I made extra and gave a portion to housemate for her dinner.   This is my new favorite breakfast.

Lunch:  tons of steamed kale and collard greens with delicious tahini-cashew sauce.  Dessert was apples&raisins&cinnamon.   I didn't have any plans for lunch but knew I had that leftover tahini sauce from last night.  That consisted of  blended sesame seeds, lemon juice and garlic.  It was pretty bitter and strong.  But I was thinking at the time, I bet this would be better if it had cashews in it.  So today I added 1/3 cup cashews and 4 dates and about a cup of water to the mixture (the tahini sauce was pretty thick), and blended that up and it was really good!   I still have a few giant bags of kale and collard greens in the freezer from summer, so I took half of one and cut it up and steamed it along with a chopped leek and chopped red bell pepper (added about halfway through the cooking).  The collard greens take about 30 minutes to get tender.  Then added the cashew-tahini sauce.  So the main course was tons of greens with this sauce on it.  And housemate loved it!   The apples were great too, just chopped them up and added some cinnamon and raisins and microwaved until it was sort of cooked.  This was a great lunch.   I will write up the recipe for tahini-cashew sauce next time I make it.  I'll make it all at once instead of making the tahini sauce first.  I'm not sure what the ratios of sesame seeds to cashews will be so I'll wait until I experiment a bit.

Dinner:  some leftover greens and tahini-cashew sauce.  It was even better than at lunch.  It reminded me of chicken pot pie, which is totally weird!   I think it was the rich creaminess that made me think of that, but it was also a flavor, but the flavor reminded me a bit of fish so I don't know why that would also remind me of chicken pot pie.  Anyway, it was good!  Then I also cooked up some chopped cabbage, beet and apple.  and added some cinnamon and curry powder.  That was easy and good.  I got that idea from someone on the Fuhrman forums, though the beet was my addition.  It might have been better without the beet but I have a lot of beets in the fridge, and it was still good with them.  Then I snacked on stuff while making food for tomorrow as I'll be out for breakfast and lunch.  So I ate a carrot and celery and grapes.  I probably ate too much.   oops.  

No comments: