Sunday, December 7, 2008

dec 7 food

Breakfast:  in a hurry so grabbed a moothie from the freezer:  mango-spinach smoothie except it was peaches and baby romaine.  Not as good as mango-spinach, FYI.  

Lunch:  my favorite apple-cranberry-lettuce salad.  This isn't just my favorite salad but I think one of my most favorite meals ever.  I'll be sad when cranberry and apple season is over.  I'm still getting fresh ones locally.  

Dinner:  Vegetable Shepherd's Pie, from the Fuhrman members site.   I snacked a bit while making it, on some carrots and almonds.  I really like this dish.  It has several vegetables, a small amount of carrot juice, and is topped with mashed sweet potatoes.  It's pretty too, with the bright orange topping.  And the chopped almonds are a great touch.   The recipe calls for crumbled tofu but I'm not a big fan of tofu and am a big fan of edamame, so I ground edamame instead.  Housemate loves peas so I think I would uses peas instead next time.  I had two helpings but don't think I overate.  I finished it off with some fresh-squeezed grapefruit/orange juice.  Dr. Fuhrman doesn't recommend grapefruits because studies have found a dramatic increase in breast cancer among women who eat grapefruits regularly.  I suppose I should heed his advice.  I just love these organic grapefruit from Texas--Rio Star is the brand.   sigh.  What if it's only when combined with unhealthy food that it causes this effect?  Darn, I suppose I should stop eating them.  I have 3 left.   Anyway, one more thing I ate after dinner:  I made applesauce for housemate from a big bag of apples her family gave us.  So I ate a small bowl.   mmmm, freshly made warm applesauce is yummy.  and very simple, just apples, water, and sugar.   I froze the rest for housemate to have as a snack at work.   

No comments: