Friday, December 5, 2008

food and travel logs dec. 4-6

I'm on a trip and I brought most of my food.  It's worked out really well.  This is proof of how weird I am but I have to say, my food tastes better than anything else I saw people eating.   Also, most people around me are overweight and don't look very healthy, and having already done that, I prefer this.

Thursday

Breakfast:  apple, banana, applenut flax bar (sorry, on fuhrman members website), 2 date nut pop'ems (best treat ever).  

Lunch:  grapefruit, apple, carrots, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Dinner:  salad from nearby veggie restaurant:  greens, carrots, broccoli, sprouts, onion, tomatoes; 2 oranges, apple, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Friday

Breakfast:  apple, grapefruit, banana, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Lunch:  orange, apple, carrots, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Dinner:  2 apples, orange, same salad as yesterday from nearby veggie restaurant, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Saturday

Breakfast:  apple, grapefruit, banana, applenut flax bar, 2 date nut pop'ems

Lunch:  orange, carrots, 4 date nut pop'ems

Dinner:  I got home late, was hungry and craving greens so went grocery shopping (prolonging the hunger!) and made my favorite salad with apples and cranberries.  Oh, I had a slight splurge after dinner to celebrate an exciting new work project that will extend my employment by about a year, which, nowadays, is good news.  I shouldn't celebrate with food though!  but anyway, there were 3 date nut pop'ems left so I ate them.  I wasn't hungry and then I was a bit too full.  So I still have to work on not over-eating.  that's fine.

At the vegetarian restaurant where I got my salad (a wonderful restaurant called One World Cafe), they had these fabulous looking vegan baked goods.  Oh my gosh.  I reminded myself that they were made of gross fat stuff.   So I didn't partake and didn't miss it or crave it once I left the restaurant.  But the psychology is kind of weird.  Before I became vegan, I never desired baked goods that much.  Nonvegan baked goods are a dime a dozen and they felt kind of heavy in my stomach.  But after becoming vegan, since they are so rare, seeing these beautiful vegan treats does make me want them, because I know it's such a rare opportunity to eat them.  So I probably have eaten baked goods more often since becoming a vegan.   Anyway, my date nut pop'ems taste as good as any of those treats would.   

Note, I didn't eat enough greens on this trip.  A salad at lunch would have been good but would have been more of an effort and would have meant less interaction with people and that was the point of this business trip.  The applenut flax bars and date nut pop'ems were really good additions, with high caloric density to fill me up.   I'm very happy that I succeeded in eating healthy on this trip.  I felt great.  I really feel better when I don't overeat and when I don't snack.  Dr. Fuhrman is right that it's good for you to not eat between meals.  He says it's because when you are not digesting, you body is doing important detox of your cells.   If you never give it a chance to do this, you don't clean out your cells.   I can only go on his word since I don't know the science.  However, even if that is bogus, I can go with what feels good in my body and this does.   

No comments: