Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dec. 25 food

Breakfast:  a mashed sweet potato (baked first, then peeled skin) with pumpkin pie spice, and some fresh pineapple.  It was good, sort of a Christmas treat.

Lunch:   leftover lentil soup over brocolli and zucchini.  very yummy.  2 clementines.  0.5 oz brazil nuts.

Dinner:  oops.  Vegan baker neighbor brought over scones.  They are really good.  I ate four small ones which is probably equivalent to two normal size ones.  I wasn't hungry for dinner after this so just ate some arugula and a clementine a few hours later.   Okay, let's take this as a learning opportunity:  how do I feel after eating these scones?  I feel noticeably worse than normal.  First I got a sugar high (that part felt fine) and now I am on a sugar low and my brain is a bit fuzzy and my head hurts a bit.  and there is something else, I feel enervated (drained of energy) and a little nervous at the same time--it's a weird feeling.  This must be from the sugar?  or the flour?  I don't feel bad but I don't feel good.  This is how I used to always feel, and then I'd have some more sugar or caffeine to get me over the sugar low.  So I thought it was normal to feel bla whenever I don't have caffeine or alcohol or an immediate high from sugar.  You get on this yo-yo.  But when I eat the way Fuhrman tells me to eat, I don't feel anything.  I essentially feel good but you get used to that feeling so it feels like nothing, but you don't ever feel bad.  That's the key.   The other problem is now I'm thirsty from the salt.  I am beginning to hate salt.   I don't feel bad about splurging on Christmas day.  But I don't like that it gives you a hangover that lasts a lot longer than the enjoyment of eating it.  That's the part that will probably eventually stop me from eating this stuff.  My tolerance decreases more and more over time as I adopt a healthier eating style.

2 comments:

Howard Veit said...

kneecap,

ok..here is another theory,referring to your scones. Before my arrhythmias stopped and before I started ETL, not only was I a big salt eater, I was also a big sugar eater. McDougall, my former guru, did not necessarily discourage a little salt and sugar. I went way beyond a little. When my arrhythmias stopped after starting ETL, was it the no salt or the nuts/seeds, or the DHA Purity. Who knows? But, it could also have been the stopping cold turkey on the sweets. Is sugar one of the culprits?

Congratulations on no more arrhythmias. Happy New Year!

kneecap said...

thanks for the comment. I'm curious what you think of my next post. I'm beginning to come to a similar conclusion as you, that sugar is a culprit. I don't understand why sugar is worse than dates and fruit, do you? I will try to find out.

thanks for your input! I'm gradually figuring things out!

-barb