Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dec 23 food

Breakfast:  0.5 oz brazil nuts (at the gym, before my cold bike ride home).  1/2 cup smoothie (leftover from housemate's).  then curried apple+cabbage+onion+raisins.  This is a great breakfast!  Warm and delicious.  

Lunch:  the rest of yesterday's soup over steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Snack:  banana and walnuts.  I'm not supposed to snack under the Fuhrman plan but this has been a highly physically active day and I was tired, and I confess not real hungry, but tired, and the banana and walnut really felt good and perked me up a bit, as did sitting on the couch for an hour.

Dinner:  salad with a tomato dressing.  This was really good.  This is an example of a great meal you can make when you are running out of food and start inventing things.  The salad consisted of lettuce (and mine had spinach and arugula too) chopped so you fit more on a plate; and we wanted more than lettuce, but didn't have the usual salad fixings, so I took some sweet potato, a carrot, an apple, part of a yellow zucchini, and I ran them through the grater blade of the food processor to make them like cole slaw.  Put that on top of the lettuce.  Then the salad dressing is from a Fuhrman recipe, called Savory tomato dressing.  I didn't follow it exactly, and I wish I could post it as a recipe but I shouldn't.  However, I can describe it a bit.  I blended up almonds, a can of our garden tomatoes with about half the water drained out, in the blender.  Then added Dr. Fuhrman's black fig vinegar, vegizest, and some onion and garlic powder.  Next time I'll use a little real onion and garlic.   It was a great flavor and fit in well with the salad fixings.  I was worried the tomato and onion and garlic wouldn't blend well with the apple, but it was all great.    Dessert was an orange.  Then we went grocery shopping and I was ate some cashews as I was putting them away.   I wasn't hungry, it was just the usual lack of discipline.  

No comments: