Tuesday, December 30, 2008

failed experiment--peanut sesame bar

I wanted to re-create a "bumblebee bar" that my local co-op makes.  I'd eat theirs but they use too much salt, roasted cashews (raw is healthier and tastes sweeter), and honey (I'd rather use dates).  They also include sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut.   I had no idea what relatively quantities they used so I was just guessing.  So I started with freshly ground peanut butter (the co-op has a machine where you make it on the spot).  That, by the way, looked so good I ate some with a banana--that was better than anything that followed.  Okay, I heated up everything in the microwave so it would blend easier.  Then I put about 1 cup peanut butter and almond butter (about 1/2 cup each) in the blender, added 4 dates, blended, added about 1/3 cup sesame seeds and a few Tbsps sunflower seeds and coconut, added about 1/4 cup cashews at the end, didn't want to chop those too finely.  okay, at this point, it tasted pretty good and reminded me of Fuhrman's date nut pop'ems.  Then I thought, the peanut butter and banana tasted so good, maybe I should add a banana.  I did that, spread it into a pan, tasted it, and went, bla.  For one thing, it reminded me of that fudge I made that made me sick.  I think maybe I didn't like the coconut.  Anyway, I just didn't like it.  Plus it was too rich.  I am not good at making sweet things and I don't really like them, partly because I am not disciplined about eating small quantities, and they are too rich.  So next time, I'll just have peanut butter and a banana.  That was really good.  Or cashew dip and banana.  Lesson learned: forget the rich desserts.

No comments: