Sunday, December 14, 2008

dec. 13 food

Breakfast:  apple-cranberry salad.  0.5 0z brazil nuts.  5 oz soy milk (homemade, yum--I've found putting in 4 dates to the soy-milk maker makes it just a little sweet and nice tasting).

Lunch:  mashed sweet potato, steamed broccoli and cauliflower.   5 oz soy milk.

Dinner:  banana-blueberry-walnut salad.  carrots and celery sticks.

I didn't overeat yet didn't feel hungry all day.  What's interesting about this day is I went to a nice reception at an Indian restaurant for dinner.  I could have splurged and eaten a bunch of Indian food.  But I was thinking that morning, I'd actually rather have the banana-blueberry-walnut salad (I've been in a banana mood lately).  So once I realized that, then I thought, can I do this?  Will it offend?  Then I thought, it's one thing if I want to splurge, but I shouldn't eat unhealthy food to please others.  So I brought my dinner to the restaurant.  It was buffet style.  I did check out the food and told myself, if I really want it, go for it, but it was hard to tell if stuff was vegan and I didn't see anything I really wanted to eat, though it did smell good which I enjoyed probably more than eating it.  I just had Indian food a few weeks ago in New York and I didn't feel the splurge was worth it, so I didn't feel I really wanted this either.  The hosts got worried and apologized for not serving vegan food.   So I didn't address it head-on.  I should probably warn people in advance if I want to bring my own food because it will be even worse if they go to the trouble to have vegan food prepared and I don't want it.  But it is still a good lesson for me to see that I can do this.  I think you imagine the reaction will be worse than it is. 

No comments: