Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dec. 14 food

Breakfast:  apple-cranberry salad.  Okay, I am finally tiring of this but I ran out of cranberries today so the timing is good.

Lunch:  spinach-mango smoothie, carrots and celery

Snacking:  grapes, and everything I prepared for dinner

Dinner:  baked falafel and tahini sauce, steamed kale in sweet potato sauce.  I got the falafel recipe from Jennifer on the Fuhrman forums.  You blend cooked chickpeas, cumin, garlic, parsley, some spinach in a food processor.  Then just roll into balls and bake in the oven.  I baked it too long so it was too dry and brown on the bottom.  It's not as good as the deep-fried ones, surprise.   For me, SAD subsitutes aren't as satisfying as the completely new inventions (like the sauce for the kale, yum!).  It's hard to substitute for salty fried foods when you don't use salt and oil!   Then for the tahini sauce, I made it in the blender using raw unhulled sesame seeds, lemon juice, garlic, and some water.  once I figured out to put in more seeds---you need a minimum amount of stuff in the blender for it to work--it made a nice sauce.  tahini sauce is a bit bitter so is an acquired taste.  But I kind of liked it.  Now the sweet potato sauce on the kale was really good!  This consisted of a steamed chopped sweet potato, juice of a lime, and 1/4 cup cashews, and some water.  This was blended up in the blender and then mix in with the steamed kale.  I loved it.  of course, I have a thing for sweet potatoes.  I still have a lot of kale and collard greens in the freezer from our summer garden, so I think I'll be having this a lot, probably for an entire meal, maybe tomorrow night, hmmm.

Dessert:  banana-walnut ice cream from the Fuhrman forums (frozen bananas, soy milk and walnuts blended up).  really yummy.

and with all that, I did eat too much today.  I like to snack on Sunday.   I'll try not to overeat this week.

No comments: