Wednesday, May 20, 2009

may 19

I guess I can't resist posting even though I need to focus on work.

yesterday I had a smoothie at brekky but didn't have spinach so used arugula and mixed baby salad greens.  This is much more bitter so I added some lemon juice.  I actually liked this but most people might think it's too bitter for a smoothie.

for lunch I snacked on the dish I was making for the meeting I was attending in the evening.  This is the greek salad recipe I made on Sunday too (described in this post).  It's pretty good.  I substituted for many of the ingredients and added extra.  I was at a thesis defense in the afternoon and there were lots of treats including watermelon.  No one else ate the watermelon so I kept eating it--and pineapple.  I wasn't hungry but it was there...

Dinner was at my meeting where I had the greek salad.  Someone brought some "bumblebee bars" from the co-op.  These are peanut butter, sesame seeds, honey and salt mostly.  I thought, that's not so bad, so I had one--they are big so it was probably loaded with calories, and the three keys to overindulgence:  fat, sugar and salt.  Boy, you can really taste the salt when you aren't used to it.  Indeed, my fingers are swollen the morning after.   And the honey went straight to my head.  I forgot that honey is refined sugar (now how could I forget that?).  Interesting how that affects me more than fruit sugars--difference between sucrose and fructose, I guess?  Anyway, I do have to stay away from those refined sugars.  I don't like how they affect me.  The conversation was really interesting and I had to focus myself.  I was feeling ADHD for a while.   That combined with the chickpeas in the salad made me too full.

Today (may 20) I am not even hungry.   I''ve been eating too much fruit and nuts lately.   I think I'll eat more greens and veggies today.

No comments: