Saturday, May 9, 2009

may 10

I strayed today...wah

brekky: smoothie

lunch: well, I was working all morning on our remodeling project at church. I didn't bring a lunch. It was 1 pm. I was tired and hungry. The woman who brought lunch for us is a really good cook. She made home-made pizza which I didn't eat because it had cheese on it and I'm vegan. No problem. Then she brought in a baked vegan sandwich. I forget what it's called --bread (white pizza dough) with tomato sauce and peppers and mushrooms baked inside. well, I couldn't resist. And I was touched by her generosity. It was good. But it went straight to my brain like sugar and made me hyper. After I left I wanted more so went to this place that makes really good vegan baked goods and got a chocolate chip cookie and a cupcake. I only ate half the cupcake, but the frosting was good--light and sweet. Then I buzzed for a few hours. I did a bunch more manual labor at home, hauling dirt around. Then I had a normal dinner, baked sweet potato and a bunch of fresh spinach from the garden and a carrot and orange. Now I have a tummy ache and I'm really thirsty. really thirsty. I drank 3 glasses of water and I'm still thirsty. There must have been a lot of salt in something I ate. When am I ever going to learn? Okay, if I were a SAD eater (Standard American Diet), this wouldn't be so bad. But it makes me feel like crap to eat this stuff now. I wish I would stop. Oh, here is an interesting article that relates to this. If you scroll to the top of the page to the "toolbox", you can print it out. It's about a book, "The End of Overeating," by David Kessler, former commissioner of the FDA. He talks about how addictive salt, fat and sugar are and how restaurants use that to their advantage by serving food loaded with these things.

3 comments:

Traci said...

I totally have that thirsty feeling when I stray, even if I don't eat something "salty". I'm sure it's the combo of the high sodium and the sugar from the refined grains that does it.

kneecap said...

yeah, I didn't think the food I ate was that salty but it was surely more salty than I'm used to. I was also wondering if it was the sugar.

Eugene said...

Sorry to read about your experience. On the bright side, you can probably just skip a questionable meal that may make you sick, even when very hungry and not feel the terrible toxic hunger symptoms.