Friday, May 22, 2009

may 22

Today I was running out of food so I became creative and it turned out quite good. Brekky was the usual smoothie.

I froze some bananas in equal portions and had some leftover. I didn't feel like eating it right after brekky, so made a salad dressing out of banana, fresh mango, 1/2 oz walnuts, and 1 Tbsp blueberry vinegar, all blended up. I prefer beets instead of banana but this was still good.

Lunch was a salad, made from lettuce, orange bell pepper, 1/2 cup edamame, cilantro, and chopped kumquat peels (like orange zest), and the dressing I made. Cilantro and kumquat peels are good on just about anything, for future reference. This was really good! I ate some carrots while preparing.

I made a salsa for housemate's dinner (chips and salsa). I didn't have any of the usual ingredients, except canned tomatoes and cilantro, so I made it with tomatoes, kumquat peels, cilantro, and goji berries. It was really good, better than the standard recipes. I had some with celery sticks.

For dinner I used the pressure cooker (PC) to make vegetables with rutabaga-sesame sauce. This was easy and good. It is one of my favorite recipes because it feels like comfort food, and is somehow reminiscent of meals you get in restaurants (because of he sauce I guess) except this is healthy. First I cooked up the rutabaga and a beet in the PC for 2 minutes (peeled and cut them first). put the rutabaga in the blender. then added broccoli and mushrooms (the only veggies I have left in the fridge) to the PC and cooked for a minute. The extra minute finished cooking the beets and the other veggies. Then took the leftover liquid, added it to the blender with the sesame seeds and lemon juice. I forgot to rinse the sesame seeds and that does seem to make a difference--it did seem more bitter. I added some lime juice from my last 1/4 lime in the fridge. Blend this up into a nice sauce and pour it over the veggies and beets. yum. I didn't notice the bitter taste of the sauce when mixed with the veggies. Here's what it looked like before I devoured it. The sauce had a purplish color because of cooking the rutabaga with the beets. It was actually kind of pretty.

No comments: