Saturday, May 9, 2009

failed nut butter experiment

Today I tried to make almond butter in the blender and it was a pain and it didn't turn out very well.  Other people tell me this should work but maybe I just don't have the patience to blend long enough.  Anyway, it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.  I can buy raw from Dr. Fuhrman or freshly made (but not raw) from the co-op.   I soaked the almonds overnight and then put them in the blender.  The blender was working really hard so I added some soy milk and pomegranate juice to try to help it out.  Like I said, I probably just wasn't patient enough.  It never got that smooth.  I dumped it down the sink (oops).

I was inspired to try this to make a replacement for my peanut butter treat that I like to give myself for splurges.  Peanut butter, since cooked, has acrylamides, which are bad for you, as pointed out by Mr. Curious.  Well, I think I will stick to the peanut butter.  It's only about once a week when I have this.  And I'll probably tired of it one of these days but right now it's my treat.

No comments: