Friday, May 29, 2009

busy days at work

I'm back.   Was busy with work.  now I'm worn out because the adrenaline has gone away.  It was interesting to do this big push without caffeine.   On Tuesday night I had to get a draft of my 15-page proposal to my administrator by Wed.  So I expected to stay up all night.  I got to bed at 4:45 am.  I was pretty tired without caffeine to prop me up.  I ate an orange and banana at 2 am and that perked me up.  Here's the funny thing though:  Then the adrenaline kicked in.  I woke up at 6:45 am and couldn't get back to sleep.  So I got to work, still had a bunch of other work to do on the proposal.   I worked all day--from 6:30 am until 10 pm.  ugh.  I took a short nap but couldn't sleep much, maybe 15 minutes.  then I  only slept 6 hours that night.   I had a break in the action Thursday morning (yesterday), waiting for input from team members, so went to my morning exercise class and got some needed groceries.   got the proposal in last night.  then I still only got 6 hours of sleep!  because of the adrenaline I guess.  So I went to my morning exercise class this morning.  It was hard but enjoyable.  I ate breakfast and then hit the wall.  I was so tired.  I went to run a long errand with housemate and I just wanted to collapse.  I took an hour nap when I got home.  I hope I can get a good night's sleep tonight. 

So how did I do eating-wise?  This is also the first time I didn't use food to get me through a deadline---sweets and chocolate.  oh, except for the banana-walnut ice cream!  that was good!  I had that wed. and thurs night.  I didn't cook much, just ate stuff from the fridge.  Did you know a red bell pepper tastes great all by itself, just eating it like an apple?   I don't recall much what I ate on Wed.  Yesterday I ate a bag of fresh cherries (really good), raw carrots, frozen peas from the bag (really good).   Ate lots of spinach from the bag--fresh and local, really good ate an entire 8 oz bag.  had spinach and oatmeal for brekky.  oranges and apples.  

Today was more normal:  I had spinach and oatmeal again for breakfast.  I like that because I really like spinach.  At lunch I used the pressure cooker to make eggplant, kale, (cooked that first for 2 minutes, then added), cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes (cooked for another 2 minutes), then added herbs from the garden--cilantro and chives.  It was good, and I totally overate (and by the way, it was a bit overcooked, still learning to use the pressure cooker).   Then I ate a bag of frozen peas for dinner.  I wasn't going to but I just got going on them.  I was going to have a salad.  oh well.  I wasn't that hungry because lunch was big and late.  and I ate two oranges.

Oh, I did find that in my tiredness and stress, I did want to pig out more on sweets like fruit.  When I'm tired I want to use food to perk me up.  Today I did that at lunch, and I overate and it made me more tired.  I didn't overeat on calories, just ate too much at one sitting.  

Well, anyway, I'm just happy I didn't go off and buy cookies and muffins and cupcakes.  I didn't have any desire to.   Now I just hope I can get a good night's sleep and enjoy high energy levels tomorrow.  so much to look forward to in getting back to my enjoyable activities.

4 comments:

Patti said...

Great to hear about your big work detail and how you got through it without resorting to sweets and food that in the long run would only make you more tired.
I am so longing to be able to do that.
One of these days I'm going to get there.
But alas, I'm still giving in to mid-drive stopping for a coffee at McDonalds and a lunch like today's fried shrimp and double serving of obviously frozen from a bag and put on the steam table for a long time, cauliflower, brocolli and carrots. I left myself at the mercy of the hospital cafeteria.
The four hour commute today left me susceptible to the coffee, just to make it to the hospital.
Good thing I don't sign up for that gig very often.

kneecap said...

Hi Patti,

you'll get there. as I said in my post, it was a first for me. I can understand how you'd be susceptible with a four-hour commute! driving can be difficult if you are tired, and caffeine can make you safer in that case, if it prevents you from falling asleep.

-barb

Strix said...

Good job monitoring your tendencies,barb! soon, you won't have to at all :). You seem to making really great progress. Like I always say, "stick to it"!! If one does, it will work; we all have different constitutions and histories, so some areas take longer than others. You do an excellent job of pinpointing your weaker areas, but the real strength is your ability to admit them :) Then work on them. That = a recipe for success!

Congratulations. Good for you! Here's to victories, big and small!

kneecap said...

HI Strix,

thanks for the encouragement! in the old days, I used to smoke cigarettes and drink coffee while writing proposals! it was kind of fun I admit. but so is eating banana walnut ice cream. :)

-barb