Sunday, May 31, 2009

may 30 & 31

It was a busy but fun weekend.    Let's see if I can remember the food:

brekky:  yesterday, oatmeal & spinach.  I'm weird, I like it.  but now I'm already tired of oatmeal. 

lunch:   was gone all morning and early afternoon, snacked on apple, banana and carrots that I brought with me at 1 pm.

Then went grocery shopping, and made a salad for a picnic.  snacked on that while making it.  made pretty much this one--black bean and corn.  a double recipe, used 2 cans of beans.  let's see what I forgot (didn't look at the recipe):  forgot the lime, and the store didn't have kumquats.  but it did have a ripe mango.  It is really good in this salad.  added red bell pepper, garlic chives, some cumin powder.   I ate a bunch of this salad both while preparing and at the picnic.  In fact I ate so much I got overfull.  Those beans really expand in the tummy.  I also ate some fruit salad at the picnic and celery and strawberries and watermelon.    Food that I chose not to partake in included toasted marshmallows, spaghetti, s'mores, birthday cake, cookies, etc etc.  Some would say I deprived myself, but I really just didn't want it, plus I don't think any of it except the spaghetti was vegan.  I like veggies and fruit.

This morning I wasn't hungry, just sipped on housemate's smoothies while making them.  and had half a cantaloupe.  and some handfuls of spinach--local and really tasty.

Lunch was hurried, had some berries (strawberries and blueberries), a carrot, some fresh, local salad greens, yum!  and some walnuts and sunflowers to give me some calories.  like I said, in a hurry, no time to prepare much.

dinner was a salad.  I've been looking forward to this since I went grocery shopping yesterday.  the co-op is full of fresh local greens now.   so had a giant plate of lettuce with red bell pepper and blueberry dressing.   The dressing was really good so I ate all of it.  I figured I needed the calories anyway.  It was a great dinner.  Then I had to make more dressing for housemate so I made a tomato one.   It's similar to the russian fig but easier and less garlicy.  In fact it is super duper easy.   It was good--the flavor is dependent on how flavorful your tomato is, and we know how that can vary.  I had fresh local green onions and that made it delicious.  The tomato was local but not organic and not the most flavorful.  

My tastes seem to change with the seasons.  I'm now in the mood for fresh greens and berries and fresh fruit, and I'll definitely need the nuts and seeds and beans for calories.   I'm not really in the mood for the root veggies and soups anymore.  at least not at the moment.  It all seems too heavy.  funny how that works.

No comments: