Friday, March 20, 2009

mar 20

Brekky: 0.5 oz brazil nuts & kiwi before yoga.  morning smoothie afterwards.

Lunch:  grapes (2 cups!), 0.5 cups frozen peas (munched on), baked sweet potato, steamed asparagus with lemon and sunflower seeds, 

Dinner: big easy salad, which had an additional treat in it:  sliced mango.  It was fantastic, at perfect ripeness.  That might have been the best mango I've ever eaten.  It was a small yellow one from Mexico.  I don't have good luck with the big green ones from South America.  They are shipped unripe and they don't ripen well in my kitchen.  But these little yellow ones are good.  I also had 2 small baked beets, carrots and celery while preparing, two small tangerines, and 0.5 oz brazil nuts.

total calories: 1613. protein 43 g (8%), carbs 293 g (68%), fat 44 g (24%).

I'll be curious to see if I get hungry in the middle of the night.  I kind of felt like I overate at dinner.   But 4 hours later I feel just right.    I don't like going to bed hungry.

Oh, I was at a gathering of friends tonight and there were the vegan chocolate chip cookies---these are the healthier ones (cowgirl cookies from the co-op) with whole wheat flour, coconut shavings, and oil instead of white flour and margarine.   I didn't have any but it wasn't because of discipline.  The host just forgot to serve them.  haha.  until the end when we were putting on our coats.  then it was easy to say no.  I doubt I would have resisted if they had been served earlier---even though, I really don't like them that much.   It's like alcohol.  I stopped liking it long before I stopped drinking with friends.  I still have a hard time saying no sometimes even though I have no desire for it and usually feel tired the next day.  I just want to be a part of the gang sometimes.   Maybe I have to change my mentality about gangs.  Maybe I should think of myself as a leader instead of a follower.  Sounds silly but it could work.   Stranger things have happened.  Huh, maybe this is why women often have more trouble adopting this eating plan.  I get the impression that women have a harder time in social situations, from what I read on the Fuhrman forums.  And women are programmed more to be followers.  A lot of the men are able to be more rational about it.  I don't mean to be sexist, it just seems that some of the men are able to just decide this is the way to go and do it.  And a lot of men are more comfortable in leadership roles due to socialization in our society.  Maybe we women just need to adopt that mentality more.  Pretend you are a leader rather than a follower.  I think there's a lot of power in pretending.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, barb!
Yea, one thing about wanting to be part and allowing that to control your decision making is that, ultimately, you (we) are alone. Are those people going to be there when we're suffering and sick? Seriously, who are these people to my life, *really*? Am I going to see them everyday? What do they do in my life? I'm not blaming them; I'm saying that it's up to us to control our own minds!
Only you can take care of you. To allow outside forces dictate how you feed your body and mind is fruitless. AND disempowering.
We have to take care of ourselves; only we can do it!

Don't every feel like you can't say No, barb. It's your life, it's your body, you do with it what you want. Saying no to food isn't going to make anyone worth a darn like you or accept you any less. If they do, then that tells you what you need to know about them.

kneecap said...

You are right. I will try to remember this. :)