Saturday, March 21, 2009

cherry essene

I pretty much followed strix's instructions but I'm putting them here for easy reference.  well, I changed it a bit.

Ingredients:
1 cup kamut.  soak overnight, then sprout (seems to only take a day + a few hours) (after soaking and sprouting, it was closer to two cups).
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup raisins  (strix used 1/2 cup cherries but mine aren't that sweet so I split it with raisins)
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tsp vanilla
some freshly grated nutmeg

Soak the cherries and raisins in 1/3 cup water.   Then blend everything in the blender.  I added the soaking water too which helped it blend.  It takes a while to get the blender to start mixing it all--lots of smashing with the plunger.  But then you get a nice smooth batter.  Spread it on parchment paper on a big pan.  I baked it at 250 F for about 45 minutes then let it sit in the oven for another 30 minutes while I ran to the hardware store (I love the hardware store--those guys are so helpful!).  So alternatively I might have cooked it for 60 minutes if I were at home to watch it.  But this worked fine.  Oh, if you have a dehydrator, that's probably better and then you can keep this "raw", but I don't have requirements for raw (feel free to convince me otherwise).

Here's the batter spread out:













After it baked and cooled, I cut it into 11 pieces (servings).  














It wasn't super-sweet but I think it was just right, a nice flavor.  

Nutritional info per serving:  Calories 105, protein 3g (10%), carbs 19g (71%), fat 2g (19%)  

3 comments:

Picks Over Peas said...

Barb - Were the raisins and nuts totally pureed? I would like to try this version but my hubby won't eat raisins or nuts unless they are totally pureed and "invisible". Thanks in advance!

kneecap said...

yes, they were totally pureed and invisible. and next time I think I'd use al cherries instead of half cherries and half raisins.

-barb

Picks Over Peas said...

Great, I have that on my list of adventurous things to try now!