Saturday, March 14, 2009

essene bread

This is experiment #2 with essene bread.  

Ingredients:
1/2 cup kamut berries
1/3 cup raisins

I soaked the berries overnight, then put them in a bell jar.  I stopped at an expensive kitchen store (conveniently located or I wouldn't have bothered), and asked if they had sprouting jars.  I'm not sure they knew what they were, and they didn't have them.  I also had to make a stop at the hardware store next door for something else and on a whim I said, hey do you have sprouting jars?  The woman said, no, but we have some nylon mesh you can try.  After spending 79 cents on a big piece of nylon, I cut out a circular piece and put it in my bell jar lid--worked like a charm.  





















Then screwed on the lid.  This does make for easier rinsing.  So I rinsed them and put the can on it's side with a towel over them (darkness), and let them sprout, rinsing every 8 hours or so (5-12 depending on when I was home).  













It only took about a day to get the spouts about half the size of the berry.  Then I combined the berries and raisins in the blender.  This wasn't quite enough to blend easily so I had to do a lot of smashing with the plunger and reblending.    Then I put it in the oven for over an hour at 250 degrees.  It sticks to the pan.  I forgot to use parchment paper like strix suggests.  I used corn meal but you'd need a lot for that to work and I didn't use much.  It still turned out good.  more on that in my next post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! haha. I did something similar with a jar lid. That's great you made one! If you get some rust along the perimeter of the screen, it shouldn't affect your sprouts...never bothered mine. But then, you can just make another one, if it gets bad, I guess. Cool.
You're getting creative with the bread, haha. Yes, the grains have more calories, you have to watch that. Is yours more than the one you buy?
It's too easy, ha? :^)

kneecap said...

I like this more than what I buy because I can control this--how many raisins and nuts I want to add, how moist. I don't know the nutritional info on the ones I buy so I have to guess.

Yes, this is easy and fun. Your post is great. I keep making mistakes and then going to your post and saying, oh yeah, parchment paper, oh yeah, a knife would be easier to spread with than my sticky fingers. I'll keep improving it.

so thanks!
-barb