Sunday, August 2, 2009

aug 2

I had a good weekend, and ate as planned. Yesterday I had veggie pot and baked potato with avocado butter, orange for dessert; then had the same for dinner and early lunch today (my hosts eat lunch at 11 am and dinner at 4:30 pm). So I just had 2 meals a day. They were sufficiently filling but not too much. Then this evening when we got home, we went grocery shopping and ate dinner at the co-op. Mine was fabulous. I had half a small yellow watermelon (it has a different name but I forgot). They are locally grown and are much better than watermelon. I also had some rainier cherries and about 10 brazil nuts. It was a nice treat---way better than cupcakes. more on that in a bit. When I got home I ate some salad greens and 3 smallish carrots. We're getting fresh local carrots again. We get Wisconsin carrots about 10 months of the year. They are great.

okay, about those cupcake cravings I was having (see several posts from the last week). I think they are over. I think there were a couple of issues going on. One is that I have reached my weight and health goals. So I sort of had that notion of "now what"? nothing to aim for anymore? Plus Dr. Fuhrman says you can be 90% compliant and still be healthy. So I thought maybe it was time for an off-plan treat. Oh, and I was working with old friends I don't see often and they are used to my drinking alcohol and eating their kind of food. So I was susceptible to nostalgia, but at the same time I actually didn't really want the treats because I don't like how I feel when I eat them. So instead I splurged with the healthy stuff but that didn't solve the desires for the SAD (Standard American Diet) food because that was based on nostalgia. I still wanted them but I also didn't want them. I finally decided I think I just prefer being 100% on the plan. People say you shouldn't be a perfectionist because that will set you up for failure (you go off plan, splurge, decide you will go on-plan tomorrow, and then overeat crappy food until midnight, or longer). So I'm not supposed to try to be perfect. But I think I will try to stay on plan for some time longer. Also this weekend we were at some events and I was people watching and it definitely reinforces the idea that you are what you eat. Most people have no clue how your food affects your health. I sure didn't 4 years ago. But now that I know, I prefer not to eat unhealthy food. The healthy food tastes great. Eventually my nostalgia will be associated with the healthy food and not the old stuff I used to eat.

No comments: