Monday, August 10, 2009

another collard green smoothie

Sometimes I like these and other times I don't.  When I like them, I'm liking the flavor and nutrition.  When I'm not liking them, I am thinking the delicious flavor of the fruit are gone because they are trying to offset the bitter flavor of the collards.  At those times, I'd rather get my collards another way and enjoy the fruit by itself.  

This serves 2.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp flaxseeds
1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp hemp seeds (use any combo of the seeds you prefer)
2/3 cup edamame, thawed in microwave in a little water (if frozen)
10 oz fresh squeeze orange juice
8 oz collard greens
1 bag frozen blueberries
1 bag frozen pomegranate kernels (yum!)
1 Tbsp blueberry vinegar (makes the greens less bitter tasting)

Blend the seeds, edamame, and OJ in the blender. Add the collard greens and blend some more. Add the berries and vinegar and blend until smooth. This makes about 36-40 oz. I split it into 2 servings and freeze one or both for later. After it's frozen, it takes about 12 hours to thaw in the fridge. The microwave can help it along.

Nutritional info per serving: total calories: 460. carbs 75 g (60%), protein 16 g (12%), fat 14 g (28%).

2 comments:

Kris said...

Is this one serving?

So, greens that we normally have to cook, like collards and kale, do not have to be cooked when made into a smoothie. That's a plus!

kneecap said...

Hi Kris!

I make this into 2 servings. I put them in two 20 oz plastic bottles. Yes, you can put any kind of greens in. However, spinach is by far the most palatable to most people. I can't stand kale in smoothies. Other people love them. I like collard greens. But it takes getting used to. It's more bitter than spinach. That's why I add the vinegar. If you want to try this, I recommend starting with small amounts of greens to see how much you are willing to tolerate. How's that for an endorsement? ha. Good luck!

-barb