Monday, August 24, 2009

three topics: allergies, temptations, juicing

Today was a high-allergy day where I live, from pollen of some sort--I don't pay much attention anymore but I still get an email telling me if it's a medium or high-allergy day. Several people in my yoga class were sniffling and sneezing. People usually say to me this eating style is too radical for them. My favorite saying lately is, it's a radical diet that produces radical results. I no longer suffer from allergies and I love it. I enjoy what I eat. I no longer care if it's completely different from what everyone else eats and if I'm a big pain for not joining in.

I still have my temptations. I had breakfast at the co-op with some friends and they got my favorite muffins. I was tempted by them and the freshly baked cowgirl cookies. I know I won't enjoy how I feel after eating them so that seems to be enough to keep me from eating them. But I wonder how long the temptations will last. It's still seems to be about nostalgia. I actually don't really enjoy them as much as my own food now, but I used to. Oh well, I think it will wear off. I still enjoy the smell of meat sometimes and I'm not tempted by it. Maybe the same thing will happen with baked goods. It's all about forming new habits. The longer I resist, the easier it will get.

Dr. Fuhrman recommends for optimal health juicing a few times a week and/or eating vegetable smoothies (leafy green vegetables mixed with fruit) a few times a week. So I decided to give juicing a try. I've resisted until now because it seems wasteful to only eat the juice and not the whole vegetable. But I'm not in the mood for collard green smoothies right now so I thought I'd try collard green juice (plus other stuff to make it palatable). And I was thinking I wanted a nutritious but small breakfast after exercising in the morning--small because my breakfast is only 1-3 hours before lunch. So I juiced today and froze a bunch of 8 oz servings. I'll try it out tomorrow.

No comments: