Wednesday, August 5, 2009

aug. 5

brekky: on the road so ate a large collard green smoothie. I'm tweaking this recipe. I think I have a good one now. But I must be weird to like this!

Lunch: back home so corn on the cob again (with avocado butter). I had 3 ears today. I'm not tired of it yet. I also had leftover lentil stuff from yesterday. I'm glad that's all gone now since I slightly burned it. I also had a few carrots and frozen peas while making housemate's potato,carrots,pea dish.

Dinner: I was grocery shopping so ate at the co-op: 1/2 small yellow watermelon (the best!), some cherries, grapes, blackberries, and brazil nuts. I meant to get just enough for one meal so I wouldn't overeat on these treats which are just the sort of things I tend to overeat. But I guess I got too much, and miracle of miracles, I stopped eating when I was full and plan to have the rest for brekky tomorrow. When I got home I did eat some salad greens too and a small carrot. and maybe 3 grapes and then I thought, you know you won't stop wanting those if you keep eating, you will always want more, so you may as well stop now since you are full. so I did. wow. I'm behaved rationally. So maybe I am learning from experience and improving. knock on wood. anyway, it was a great meal for me, as these are things I consider treats.

One thing I was thinking today is that it really does feel good and powerful to take control of your health. There's so much in the world we feel we have no control over. I like having control over this aspect of my life. It is very empowering. I'm not paying much attention to the health care debate because I don't have a lot of faith that our politicians do will do something sensible. But at least I can make sure I will be healthy and avoid doctors as much as possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Especially like your last paragraph about liking the control you feel over your own diet and health. I too am skeptical about our politicians ability to fix health care...so many people in the US are either sick now or are going to be in the future. The education I'm getting about nutrient-rich eating gives me confidence that I will be able to opt out of the typical health decline most experience. I still feel the pull (addiction?) to SAD foods but I'm making progress daily...it'll take time. I've come to this way of healthy eating because I've got a real fear of getting cancer. My Mom passed away 4 months ago after losing a breast and arm to the disease and today we buried a dear girlfriend (just 47 yrs old) who suffered terribly for 15 months with pancreatic cancer. So, my motivation is out of fear at this point but I'm also positively encouraged by the way I'm feeling better and losing weight! It's great to know others are eating this way and enjoying life so much. You encourage me!
Nancy (jstsayno)

kneecap said...

HI Nancy,

Thanks for your comment. I am sorry to hear about your recent losses! Wow. I worry about my unhealthy relatives and dear friends, but haven't had to bury any of them yet. You'll find you feel better and better as time goes on. That will encourage you. It's still hard to see people around us get sick though.

-barb