Saturday, August 15, 2009

aug 15 food

brekky: collard green smoothie. I am fickle. A few days ago I said I love these, now I don't. Now I think those delicious frozen blueberries and pomegranates are being wasted on collard greens. so I think I'd rather eat the delicious blueberries and pomegranates alone and find some other way to get the collard greens. It's funny, the more I experiment, the more I find that Dr. Fuhrman's advice is the best. He recommends juicing vegetables a few times a week. I'm thinking, yeah, maybe that's a good way to eat some of my collards and kale, with some carrots to make it palatable (or maybe an apple?). , I made a single-serving collard green smoothie after splattering the first batch all over the kitchen. And then I still wanted to eat something delicious so I made a blueberry-pomegranate sorbet with the leftovers from the smoothie.

lunch: peach, 3 ears of corn and avocado butter, lazy salad. some carrots.

dinner: last serving of last week's pot 'o veggies. This was a mistake because I also cooked next week's pot 'o veggies, and I tend to snack while I cook, because I like to taste it as I go, and I enjoy that. So I ended up eating too much. I shouldn't have had dinner first and all would have been well. I'll try to remember that next time. Anyway, I served up the giant pot 'o veggies into 10 small plastic bowls and put them in the freezer. I'm going out of town next week and will bring them with me to have for lunch and dinner. Kind of repititious but easy. I suspect I'll be tired of this entree by the end of the week. But I'll also have salads and fruit to vary. I edited my recipe for the pot 'o veggies because I improved it. But I know how to improve it even better next time. Once again, I end up going back to Dr. Fuhrman's advice: he likes to juice his carrots and beets in his soup. Too much makes it too sweet but I think juicing some would improve the flavor. next time. Here are the garden greens that went into it:

a sinkful of kale:














about 4 chard leaves and about 10 collard leaves (these are 8-12 inches long):













some herbs: in the end I just used the parsley and dill. The tomatoes didn't go in this recipe. They will be canned tomorrow. yippee!














I cooked a huge batch of beans for the veggie pot, 3 cups dry of various ones left in my jars (small red, adzuki, and pinto), so I should have at least 1 cup a day from the 2 meals on my trip. I also included local broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, carrots and beets. yum!

No comments: