Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 11 Food logs

Brekkie:   baked oats and fruit.   This is one of my favorite breakfasts.  I found this really little baking pan that's just the right size for one person.  I put about 2/3 cup fruit in the bottom, sprinkle cinnamon, add 2/3 cup oats and 1 cup water, bake for at 350 for 30-40 minutes while I go meditate, then I turn on the broiler for a few minutes to toast the top.  I buy whatever fruit looks good, and cut it up and freeze it. Today's fruit was strawberries, blackberries and bananas.   Here's the end result dished out in my bowl.  

Now last week I would have added a chopped date to this but I'm on the Captain's challenge.  And you know what, it tasted great.  The date would have covered up the taste of the oats and berries.  So I'm quite pleased about this!

For lunch I tried a baked plantain for the first time.  I just threw it in the oven and baked at 375 for 1 hour because I'm all about taking the easy way.  It was kind of dry.  It had an interesting taste, sweet and...lemony?  New things always take getting used to so I will definitely try this again several times (I'll experiment with cooking methods) and see if it sticks.  I also had the veggies I cooked up last night:  onion, oriental yam, kale, broccoli rabe, asparagus, mushrooms, beans, herbs from the garden, a little singapore seasoning.
Afterwards, I nibbled on some frozen peas and corn and some romaine lettuce leaves.

Early Dinner:  we had family over for their traditional meatloaf dinner.  I had the baked potato topped with a big pile of those veggies from lunch and yesterday, peas and corn, salad.   While others ate their cake and ice cream, I had a little of that frozen fruit which tasted lovely.  Sure it was easy, but it's only day 2.  Temptation doesn't usually hit me until about day 15...

Snack:  small baked potato.  small bowl of peas and corn.

Exercise: walked 4 miles.  meditated 30 minutes.

okay, I promise my future posts won't be so long, because my food is pretty similar day to day.

5 comments:

Xanthe said...

i'll have to try the baked oats thing for my mom, who hates oats but knows she should eat them instead of waffles and ezekial english muffins :)

kneecap said...

she can put sweetener on to sweeten up the deal. what's wrong with ezekial english muffins for your mom? is it just that she eats too much of the breads? is she healthy?

Xanthe said...

oh, nothing is wrong with ezekials! but she eats primarily bread, with only the occasional addition of vegetables (only if she's tricked into it, like it's with her pasta or a minuscule amount of veggies in a sandwich, etc.) but after going to farms2forks and hearing so much from the esselstyns, jeff novick, et al about how oats are wonderful and dose responsive, etc, she wants to try to incorporate more oats into her life. however, she is extremely picky and will not eat oatmeal.

kneecap said...

I see. Well, as Jeff Novick says, there is no one super food. So if you don't like oatmeal, I think that's no biggie. Oatmeal is probably great when you are just starting out and have an urgent need to lower your cholesterol. But I understand about too much bread. how about sweet potatoes mixed with veggies? I love the oriental yams as you might have noticed. :)

Xanthe said...

i love oriental yams too! my mom isn't really into sweet potatoes, mostly pasta and bread. it's ok though, she eats brown rice pasta and whole wheat bread, but i think she'd still like to expand her repertoire a bit. i used your baked oats recipe as inspiration for an oat cobbler i made for her, and she loved it, so thank you!!