Tuesday, June 25, 2013

6/25/13 food


B: nothing, wasn't hungry (see yesterday).  I estimate I ate about 3 oz of nuts and 2 oz of figs last night.  That's probably about 700 calories on top of a full day's food.  I didn't sleep well after all that.
I cooked up a bunch of food for lunch and dinner.  I met a friend for lunch and he had asked me to bring enough food for him (he's drooled over my food many times in the past).  I cooked up my usual whatever veggies are in the fridge:  onion, oriental yam, kohlrabi, kale, asparagus, zucchini, brown and black rice, and added at the end fresh dill, parsley, cilantro, rosemary from the garden.   The only rhyme and reason with all this is, what is fresh and local from the co-op and my garden.  My friend was all ga-ga about how it tasted and how he just can't get the hang of cooking.  and the weird thing is, I'm not doing anything special, just throwing it all together in a big pot.  
So that was lunch and dinner, plus a whole bunch of really good sugar snap peas, and a nighttime snack of a head of romaine lettuce, and half an orange.   Summer eating is so wonderful in Wisconsin.  I think today the only thing that wasn't local or from the garden was the rice and yam and orange.
I have a slight bit of arthritis in my hands and I've been looking into what Drs. McDougall and Barnard have to say about what foods are triggers.  I'm tempted to go on an elimination diet for a week but I don't want to miss out on the summer produce.   the other option is to give up one food at a time.  According to these guys, some possible trigger foods are oats, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, citrus fruits, strawberries, nuts.  The timing might be good right now before the sweet corn and tomatoes and new potatoes come into season.  I could freeze the strawberries.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - Just wanted to say I love reading your blog because you are one of the only people (the only person?) I know who eats like me.

And because you seem to be curious as how to fix your arthritis, I cannot recommend garycrowley.com highly enough. I'm a massage therapist and his (free) videos for joint pain are spot on (I've suffered with my own thumb/hand pain.) So while your hand pain could be food related, I suspect it's muscle related. Anyway, it's worth a shot.
-Kim

kneecap said...

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.