Sunday, November 15, 2009

juicing for beans

Dr. Fuhrman recommends for optimum health to have a serving of vegetable juice or blended salads (green smoothies) a few times a week. My smoothies have spinach or salad mix in them so count in this category. However, I go in and out of the mood for smoothies. I think they are too concentrated and sweet, and I prefer chewing and eating more slowly. But you don't absorb as much nutrients from chewed salad as blended. I don't want to make smoothies next week, so should I juice? Well, I don't really like vegetable juice. So here's what I did. I juiced a ton of stuff yesterday. And decided it will be broth for beans. Here's what I combined:

5 lbs carrots
tons of collard greens from the garden (5 lbs?)
a bunch of parsley (from the garden)
a bunch of celery
some ginger
4 garlic cloves
2 lemons
2 small apples (what the heck)

I divided this into about 10 8-oz bell jars and put them in the freezer. I'll use them for broth for beans and soups.

I know you are suppose to drink juice raw but I just don't like it. It will still be nutritious cooked, I hope. Plus, it was a great way to use up lots of collards from the garden. Soon they will stop growing and the season will be over, but I have had an endless supply for about 4 months!

No comments: