Sunday, February 14, 2010

Last few days

It's been a busy few days so no time to post. Yesterday was my first nutritarian meetup. It was fun. However, I stupidly ate too much while preparing so I wasn't hungry during the meeting. I didn't even eat the ice cream, which I was looking forward too all week. oops! I made West African lentil okra stew (a Fuhrman recipe). It wasn't as good as I was expecting but maybe that's because I used boiled peanuts (ground in the blender) instead of peanut butter (which is roasted). So I'm curious to try it again. We get really good fresh-ground peanut butter at my co-op. Other people brought great salads and fruit. Dessert was banana walnut ice cream (with some date-cashew cream and vanilla for a little extra treat). Then we made another batch that had frozen bananas & cherries, cocoa and (raw) cacao powder, coconut, vanilla and date-cashew cream. Date-cashew cream is just cashews, dates, and water blended in the blender (which is one of the things I taste tested a bit too much of before the meeting). The ice cream was a big hit.

I also made a big batch of sweet potato/peanut dip but didn't like it so much. I put in too many peanuts. I didn't think you could ruin it by putting in too many peanuts, but you can. The boiled peanuts mixed with water are a bit on the bland side, so it's better as a minor component of the recipe. So I didn't bother to put out the dip and didn't bother to cut up the raw veggies I was going to include with the dip.

Anyway, the meetup was good. There were lots of questions about Dr. Fuhrman's program, and lots of sharing of experiences and advice.

No comments: