Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19th


Day 6 of my "diet."   Here's my food log, weight, exercise, and thoughts.

breakfast, 8 am : about 1/10th serving of housemate's smoothie, about 1/2 cup of beans, a few carrots.

break at meditation retreat, 10:30 am:  a few more carrots.

potluck lunch:  my cooked veggies, baked sweet potato.  another carrot and sugar snap peas.  I bought something from the deli of a grocery store as my contribution to everyone else.  

afternoon snack, 3 pm (wasn't hungry, just wanted to eat, I could eat all day if I didn't tell myself to stop):  a couple of carrots, 1 lb fresh strawberries right out of the box.  oh yum!

dessert, 7 pm:  1 bag of frozen cherries (cascadion farms organic--sweet!) with homemade soy yogurt.  This is my favorite dessert.  I love love love this.  I eat this while prepping the frozen fruit for housemate's smoothies for the week (I plan to post about that tomorrow if I remember to take some pictures).  


dinner, 8 pm:  easy easy salad and really good:  a head of fresh locally grown green lettuce, chopped up, a little cabbage chopped up, 1 Tbsp seed mixture, 1-2 Tbsp of good sweet vinegar.  stir it all up.  so easy, so good.  


Nutritional information:
Calories: 1408; protein 54 g; fiber 76 g.

Weight:  130.  

Exercise:  walked 2.5 miles.  pretty much a rest day.

Thoughts/notes:

  • went to a mini-meditation retreat from 9-noon followed by a potluck.  I was a little worried I'd eat something I didn't want for the wrong reason at the potluck--it's okay to eat something offplan for a good reason, like, if it's really really good, but often I do it just because I want to be like everyone else and I waste my offplan calories on food that isn't worth it!.  But meditation beforehand helped me ease my worries, ha--helpful that it was a meditation retreat, huh?  So I was quite content eating my own food, and people asked me about it and I told them matter-of-factly that I don't eat oil and salt and refined foods so that pretty much rules out everything except what I bring.  and everyone was cool about it.  I mean, we're basically taught in meditation not to judge or hold attachments so none of us did and it was fine.  I find that sweet potatoes and carrots are comfort food for me, so good to bring to events like this.  I have another potluck tomorrow and plan to bring salad to share and a sweet potato for myself.  That should be very satisfying.
  • my meals tend to be more haphazard on the weekends.  I like this, a nice change from the weekdays, and easy going.  and it's fun to eat dessert before dinner!
  • I seem to like 1400 calories.  I hope I eventually lose some weight on this amount; I think a few lbs is all I'm looking for.
  • oh, I've been meaning to mention that I'm not eating as much seeds as Dr. Fuhrman recommends.  He recommends at least 1 oz a day.  I'm only getting about 1/3-1/2 oz.  It's because I'd prefer to eat a sweet potato or a lb of strawberries than a handful of nuts--they all have about the same amount of calories!  At least I'm eating some seeds.  I'm just not as into them in the summer when there is so much else to eat.  This warm weather has got me thinking about sweet corn already.  I have to be patient as that's not due for another 6 weeks.  but we had and early spring...

No comments: