Thursday, September 10, 2009

sept. 10 food

I moved to a hotel last night for 2 nights for a 2-day meeting. I brought some fruit and nuts with me. The hotel has a decent buffet breakfast with oatmeal and fruit. But I wasn't hungry. At the start of the meeting, we had a continental breakfast. By then I was hungry, so had a banana and some walnuts, and some of the fruit provided by my hosts: grapes, melon, cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple. Like most meetings, there was constant food available: breakfast, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, and dinner. I am not immune to everyone eating constantly so I ate at the breaks too. I had carrots at the morning break.

At lunchtime, a friend took me to a grocery store so I got my supplies for the next 2 days. I made a salad with greens, nuts, apple, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. It was very good. I forgot my orange vinegar--left in the hotel room. During the afternoon break, I ate some nuts and carrots, even though I wasn't the least bit hungry and didn't need it.

For dinner I brought a big salad made with greens, nuts (raw cashews and brazil nuts), chickpeas, banana, apple, and this time I remembered the orange vinegar. Dessert was an orange. I was overfull after eating all this, because I ate too many nuts today. My companions at dinner thought I was totally weird. The dinner was provided by our company and included free drinks. Most people at my table chose the steak, mashed potatoes and green beans and lots of beer and wine, followed by coffee and dessert. I have to admit, the food looked good. I have no desire to eat meat but I do recall enjoying it. The only attraction I felt to the alcohol was that it was free but it still tugged just a bit. The chocolate cake and coffee looked good. A good friend sitting next to me was stunned at my extreme eating habits and lack of drinking. I think he's worried that I've gone mad. This is where being a nutritarian can be difficult---having your friends think you are weird. I didn't really want the food though. It's too salty for me now. But it's not as much fun socializing in these situations anymore. People are uncomfortable with someone being different. Maybe over time I'll get better at making others comfortable. Also, since I don't drink anymore, I'm not all that interested in sitting around watching others drink. Overall, I didn't really want their food and alcohol and didn't feel deprived and still don't, but I did feel a little uncomfortable and a little bored, which makes me a little sad. Am I becoming boring? In these situations, I think maybe yes.

5 comments:

NancyO said...

I admire your resolve to stick with your eating plan regardless of your surroundings. The peer pressure and tempatation would've been very hard for me to overcome at this point in my ETL journey. I struggle just doing this in my home where the rest of the family eat the things I've loved to eat my whole life.

But I'm on a different path now...period. My memories of my folks suffering with cancer and heart disease are too fresh in my mind. Someday I hope to WANT to eat this way because of how wonderful I feel and how happy I feel because I can do so much.

Maybe those kind of thoughts will help you get thru this second day with the old crowd ;-) I bet inside they admire you and your committment to outstanding health. The SAD catches up with everyone at some point.

Hang in there...you're not boring ;)

kneecap said...

HI Nancy,

Thanks for the comment. You will WANT to eat this way. I absolutely prefer this kind of food. You go through stages. At first the peer pressure makes you want their food, and you sometimes give in and that's okay if it's not too often. Then after a while, you don't want their food, but the peer pressure still makes you feel weird. Maybe that's the stage I'm in. I usually don't care too much anymore about the peer pressure, but am still working on presenting my story to people to make them feel comfortable.

I don't think they admired me. :) I think they thought I was totally weird. My friend thinks I'm thin because he thinks I've become an exercise fanatic. I only got more active after I got thin and felt better from the diet. I don't exercise more than 5-6 hours a week normally. Okay maybe that's a lot but it's not fanatical. But he doesn't want to see that diet is what makes you healthy, not exercise. Of course, we know exercise is important too, but it's not enough.

NancyO said...

I like thinking about going through stages...it makes me think I will reach my goals and make this a permanent lifestyle. I think I told you that I kind of relapsed for a couple of weeks after a trip to Ohio (husband's SAD relatives ;) but have gotten my ETL momentum back and I'm beginning to lose weight again! We're leaving for an overnighter along the GA coast tomorrow so it'll be a test to see if I can ETL for 48 hrs away from home. I'm taking some fruit/veggies along to start. Husband will want to enjoy restaurants/drinking but he won't pressure me so I'll make good choices as best I can. This is life so I need to adapt. Commenting on your blog makes me feel a little accountable and that's helping me...thanks again.

Hope the headcold is a short one.

kneecap said...

Hi Nancy,

Have a good trip! One thing that has surprised me is how much I enjoy not drinking. I'm beginning to think all these years when I "enjoyed" drinking, it was all because of peer pressure. I get hangovers very easily so usually didn't feel well the next day. Also, I didn't like feeling out of control. But I might be unusual. We all have our unique issues around food and drink.

-barb

kneecap said...

oh, and congratulations on the weight loss again!