Wednesday, September 30, 2009

refrigerator soup

This is the soup you make when you are leaving town and don't want your veggies to go to waste so you throw them all into a pot. It was really good. Of course, it will vary, depending on what you have.

Ingredients:
whatever is in your fridge and pantry. I used:
2 patty pan squash
3 carrots
2 small eggplants
1/2 sweet potato
1 cup green beans
1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower---cut into about 4 big pieces, not small
a bunch of tomatoes (1-2 lbs?)
a couple green bell peppers
2 cups dried white beans--soaked over night and cooked in pressure cooker for 10 minutes
(or cook 3-4 hours on stove, or 2 cans of beans already cooked)
juice of 1 lemon
herbs from the garden: parsley, basil, chives, cilantro
corn (optional)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds

First I cooked up the beans and let them cool (I was doing other things). Then I cooked up the vegetables in the bean juice in the pressure cooker. It just turned into a soup. I took out the big cauliflower pieces, put them in the blender with 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds and 1/4 cup hemp seeds. Then added that back to the soup. That made it a nice a creamy soup. It seemed to need something else so I added a little less than 1/4 cup nutritional yeast. I chopped up the herbs and added that. Then it was really good. I froze it in big bowls (below). I look forward to eating it when I return home. I will probably eat it with greens. Note, I would have added frozen corn to it and it would have been a nice "chowder", but I have been getting tummy aches lately when I eat corn (I always overeat corn so that's probably why). Our corn is so sweet, you probably wouldn't need the nutritional yeast flavoring--or maybe it would be good too.


No comments: