Saturday, September 5, 2009

feeling like a kid again

Last night I went out with some friends and we went to a restaurant with outdoor seating. The purpose was to eat, drink, listen to live music, and be with friends. Well, I ate before we went, and didn't want to drink alcohol, so I just drank water, listened to the music, tipped the waiter and musicians, and had fun with my friends. They think I'm weird but they like weird people. I'm sure they look at my eating habits deprivation. But, I don't. And I don't find their food appealing.

Then today I got up (with no hangover, and no desire for coffee), ran 5 miles, then this afternoon, went on an easy 9 mile bike ride with a friend, and then went on an hour and a half kayak ride. What a great and fun day. I feel like a kid again. This is the kind of thing I enjoy most, getting outside and playing. Like when I was a kid, I'm exhausted by my day's activities by 10 pm and am ready for bed--but I wake up early than I did when I was a kid, I'm not sure if that is good or bad. And I'm like a kid in that I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. It's funny how in our society, most kids don't drink alcohol and caffeine, but when people come of age, most people start consuming these drugs. I did the same thing for years. And then you start feeling like an adult with no time for play. I'm enjoying feeling like a kid again--at 49 years of age!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not weird, you're an inspiration! During June-August I had 9 weeks or so of success on the ETL lifestyle but one weekend trip to husband's relatives and I've fallen off the wagon and can't seem to get going again. I screw up everyday and overeat, often the wrong things. At 53 I can't imagine doing the athletic things you do...but I want to. Tomorrow's a new day and I'm determined to ETL again. Thanks for blogging. I take a look from time to time and find encouragement.
Nancy

kneecap said...

Hi Nancy,

How long have you been off the wagon? I've heard several people describe this situation. I'm afraid to go down that slippery slope myself. It's good you are getting back to ETL tomorrow!

5 years ago, I wouldn't have imagined myself doing what I did today either. It could happen to you too!

-barb

Anonymous said...

Off the wagon about 2 weeks I guess. I think it was the 'latte' on the way back from the relatives that began the 'slippery slope'. I just can't have those sweet coffee drinks anymore, not even once because then I want something salty/snacky (which was easy on a road trip)and there I go...off the wagon. For me it really takes a total committment and no excuses.

I think once I do ETL for a whole day (today) without cheating I'll build momentum again and the days will turn into weeks.

I have a quiet day ahead so this is a good day to be disciplined...that and staying away from the kitchen! I'll get outside and get some exercise, re-read some of ETL and lurk on Dr.F forums. That ought to do it.

My daughter out in CA just did her first running race - a half marathon and finished with a huge smile and a medal. I thought it was funny that she didn't start with a 5K or 10K first. She set a goal and did it 3 months later.

I'll focus on what can happen for me if I keep my eyes on the goal.
I want an excellent Lipid profile, I want to feel really healthy and to lose another 15 lbs or so. I'd love to do a 10K again too....it's been 25 yrs since I've run any distance.

Nancy

kneecap said...

I'm similar in that I do better if I go 100%. One thing that helps me I guess is that I get sick when I go off ETL, like I did last weekend. That gets me back on very quickly! I can't handle sugar anymore, so that makes it easier to avoid. I still don't really understand why sugar is so different from a ripe sweet fruit. I know it's sucrose vs fructose I guess. But sugar and refined grains go straight to my brain and make me hyper, and it's not a comfortable feeling. It's like a drug. Anyway, maybe if you can keep at it for another long stretch (9 weeks is great!), you'll find that if you stray, you won't enjoy it so much. At some point, I think this will start happening. Then it will be easier to get back on the wagon without straying for too long. Have a good ETL day!

Anonymous said...

I've read that by the time sugar cane is refined down to sugar it's just an alien chemical, completely foreign to our systems.

Similarily, the refining of opium ultimately results in heroin...yikes! So I'm thinking sugar acts like a drug as well. Does that make sense to you (my scientist friend? ;-)

I remember years ago when we'd have the monthly office birthday parties with the store-bought cake and that incredibly sweet frosting...within an hour of eating that icing I'd have to put my head on my desk for awhile because of the awful sugar headache.

Yup, I need to give up sugar entirely...I should know better.

kneecap said...

yes, I'm starting to be more convinced that refined sugar acts like a drug (and therefore is one?). I feel strange when I eat it. and I used to get the same reactions as you, first a sugar high and then a sugar low. And once you are away from it for a while, the fruit really tastes wonderful and you don't miss it. FYI, Dr. Fuhrman groups maple syrup and agave nectar in the category of refined sugars too. He seems okay with dates, in small quantities.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...didn't know that Dr.F considered agave and maple syrup in the refined category. And I've got 2 more unopened bottles of agave in the pantry :(