Sunday, September 20, 2009

Creamy Tomato soup

This is a recipe from Chef AJ. You can find the original recipe on this website, scroll down to the "Cream of Tomato Soup."

Here are the ingredients Chef AJ calls for:
1 lb Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 clove garlic
6-8 large basil leaves
Juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato powder
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1 cup shelled hemp seeds.

Here's what I used:
1.5 lb fresh garden tomatoes, cut into chunks
~1 cup fresh carrot juice
1 large clove garlic
7 basil leaves
Juice of one lime
ground up sun-dried tomatoes
1/8 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 cup shelled hemp seeds (raw cashews would work too)

I didn't have any red bell peppers so I thought, what flavor does that add? sweetness. so maybe carrot juice would be okay. but that might be too liquidy so add some more tomatoes. I didn't have a lemon so used a lime. You just put all the ingredients into the blender. Chef AJ says, leave out the hemp seeds and let it blend until it gets warm, then add the hemp seeds. I just blended it all and then heated it on the stove some more. It has a unique flavor. Housemate really liked it. She'll have the leftovers for dinner tomorrow night. I should have taken a picture.

2 comments:

Tough Chick said...

I can't wait to make this! It looks wonderful.

kneecap said...

this was even better today on veggies!