Friday, September 5, 2008

food sep. 5

Breakfast:  another green smoothie.  this one was pretty good.  I'm still not sure I want to make it a recipe.  I don't recommend collard green smoothies to newbies.  Spinach is the best because you can't taste it and it just tastes like a delicious fruit smoothie.  But I have to admit, the collard greens are growing on me, which is good because the garden is full of them.  I got the idea from the Vita-Mix website--oh, shoot I forgot to add grapes and an orange.  I picked this one because I had all the ingredients.  So let's see, I put in some collard greens and kale, and my usual nuts, seeds, vitamins and DHA, two bananas and 2 pears.  I thought it was pretty good.  I made the usual berry smoothie for housemate.  All of these make two servings so I end up freezing the other one.  So now I have to stop making them and just eat the frozen ones until I go out of town.  I'll continue making berry smoothies for housemate so she'll have something to eat while I'm gone.  She is as helpless in the kitchen as I am at yard work.

Lunch:  cabbage salad and corn on the cob with avocado spread.  I improved the cabbage salad greatly by adding mashed avocado (i.e., avocado spread) and chopped walnuts, so I modified the recipe.  This suggests to me that adding fat to things adds flavor, and I've heard this said before but never was sure it was true.   But I believe Fuhrman when he says that you should only eat the healthy fats, not oils.  Plus, avocado tastes better than any other fat, it's better than butter, better than olive oil, so there's no sacrifice here.  I also had some watermelon for dessert.

Dinner:  cabbage salad, watermelon, grapes, an orange, and some mushrooms.  that was a bit excessive.   I could have done without the watermelon but for all I know, when I return from my trip to Germany, there will be no more watermelon.  But in that case, then I could have done without the grapes and the orange and the mushrooms.

No comments: