Monday, September 1, 2008

Okra salad

Edited Oct. 21.  Looking back on this, I don't think I would recommend this recipe.  I was trying to eat raw for a week.  But it was work to chew all these vegetables.  Well, maybe I'll try it again next summer.

I liked this but if you don't like slimy okra, but wanted a recipe with okra in it.  I made some recommendations in this post.

Ingredients:
about 8 okras
corn from one cob or about 1 cup frozen
1 chopped piece of celery
1 chopped carrot
1/2 green pepper, chopped
some pineapple pieces if you have them, I cut about, um, 2/3 cup from a fresh pineapple.  if you don't have pineapple, um, maybe a bunch of pieces from a peeled orange?  or an apple sliced up?  or a chopped date?  or nothing.
part of an onion chopped.  this was a good addition to my surprise.
1/2 lemon squeezed or less (mine wasn't juicy)
some herbs if you have them:  I had chives, rosemary, parsley, basil, a little of each

Chop everything up and combine it.  I let it sit in the fridge for about an hour to see if the flavors blended at all--that's why I added lemon, to marinate it a bit.  I didn't really notice but it might taste better if you let it sit for a few hours.  I chose the ingredients because a lot of them came from a gumbo recipe, but it was too hot to make gumbo.  I didn't make a big salad because I didn't know how it would taste but I actually liked it.

No comments: