Saturday, September 20, 2008

food Sept. 20, 08

The garden is bursting with collard greens and kale so I may have to eat two green smoothies per day.  That's okay because I'm super busy with many things and don't have time to cook dinner anyway.  I'm still working out my green smoothie recipe but think I'll post what I try so I can remember what works and what doesn't until I figure it out.

Breakfast:  green smoothie with 4 collard leaves, 2 bananas, half a small watermelon (the red seedless didn't taste that good so I put it in the smoothie), a couple of pears.  plus vitamins, DHA, and 1 Tbsp flaxseed, and 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds.  Those last four ingredients will go into all the smoothies (sunflower seeds would be replaced by almonds or walnuts sometimes).  this makes two smoothies.   I think it would be better with 3 collard leaves.  they are gigantic.   tomorrow I'll try 3 and a few kale leaves that need picking.    this was an okay smoothie, not great, probably not recipe-worthy.   For housemate, I made the usual berry smoothie.

Late Lunch:  made some salsa with can of garden tomatoes that didn't seal, onion, chives, green pepper, basil.  it could use some cilantro but we didn't have any.  Toasted some sprouted corn tortillas with pesto on them.  put a spoonful of salsa on them and they were very good.  Also, cooked up some edamame, tossed it with some salsa and pesto and ate that up.  that was really good.    

Late dinner:  rest of the green smoothie.

I enjoyed this all more than anything I ate in Germany.  and it was so much more healthy.  an interesting thing about those green smoothies is that they give me an energy boost, so I don't need coffee.  

2 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love the energy from green smoothies, too :)

The more I drink, the better I feel.

Cheers,
Kristen

kneecap said...

thanks for the comment. I think I could eat them 3 times a day!