Wednesday, September 24, 2008

daal with quinoa and peas

This uses the daal recipe, and adds quinoa and peas and 1/2 cup orange juice. it was easy and good.

I started with the daal recipe but only put in 1 cup of lentils and half the spices. I soaked the quinoa in water for the first 20 minutes while the daal cooked, then rinsed it and added it (soaking is not necessary but I understand rinsing removes a bitter taste). About 20 minutes later I added the peas, and 5 minutes later it was done and I added the lemon and cilantro. actually you can then wait about 15 minutes for it to cool and it cooks a bit more. so an hour's cooking time is about right. It tasted a bit flat without salt (I must have got used to salt during my last trip) so I added a chopped fresh ripe fig to each bowl. That was yummy. You could substitute any sweet like grapes or dates or maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, the next day I added 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed). This was easier and tasted great. It didn't feel flat anymore. I like this a lot, better than regular daal. Plus the dilution of the lentils gave me much less bloating and gas!

No comments: