Saturday, October 31, 2009

smoothie time

Today I made a bunch of smoothies for next week. This is a lot of fun for me. Here are the ingredients for 12 servings! From left to right, we have 6 bags of spinach or baby romaine, several bags of berries, 12 oranges, 6 pomegranates, 6 bowls of grapes, 4 kinds of seeds (hemp, sunflower, pumpkin, and flax), our supplements (gentle care, osteo-sun, DHA), 12 dates, and the large grocery bill is laying in the front. This is definitely the most expensive part of my grocery bill! This will be an issue in my future but right now I'm going to enjoy it.










I make the smoothies in batches of 2. Here's the first batch for housemate. Dr. Fuhrman said, don't make all your smoothies with spinach because it has a lot of oxalic acid. That limits the absorption of calcium and maybe other things. Well, housemate doesn't like smoothies made with salad but I decided to try to anyway, using mild baby romaine. So this one has a banana and a couple of dates to sweeten it up. I thought it tasted great, so I think housemate will like it.














I made another similar batch for housemate with strawberries instead of blueberries, everything else the same:














Then I made a batch for me with spinach because the co-op had local spinach today and it will probably be the last time this season. This had mango and pineapple for the fruit. This was the best-tasting smoothie of all--really good! Housemate claims she doesn't like the green color so I get them for myself. Oh there was a lime too but I forgot to put it in the picture.













Next, several more batches for me and housemate with spinach and blueberries & raspberries or blueberries & strawberries.














The counter got messier and messier. The pom juice splattered on everything nearby, including the walls and floor. I thoroughly enjoyed snacking on the pom kernels. I need to stop snacking while preparing food in general, but not while making pom juice.














Time to cleanup:













I did a good job cleaning up and surprised housemate who usually has to deal with my messes.

Here they are in the freezer. Housemate's are the glasses on right with foil on top. Mine are the bottles at left. I sometimes eat out so the bottles are flexible that way.















Yes, that is haagen daaz ice cream at top right. That's for family visits. It doesn't tempt me, but I admit vegan ice cream would, so that's not permitted in the house.

No comments: