Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Oct 5-7

We're having a blast on this trip. Food is not the emphasis, as long as I get my nourishment, which I need a lot of because of the unexpected opportunities for mountain biking that I've had. But it's been fun and easy to eat the food I enjoy. Here's a quick summary of yesterday's, today's and tomorrow's food

oct 5 brekky:
salad made from lettuce greens (spring mix I think), strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and orange vinegar.

Lunch: same salad + carrots and a big delicious apple and a kiwi.

Dinner: leftover chili from the previous day. To extend it I added chickpeas and hemp seeds. Also ate some carrots and an orange. and celery.

oct 6 brekky: the salad greens in the fridge froze so I had to eat twice as much as usual. When salad greens thaw, they are really gross. So I ate a huge (slightly frozen) salad with the same berries as yesterday, and hemp seed and vinegar.

lunch: no more salad so had fruit (apple, lots of carrots and celery, orange) and pumpkin seeds.

dinner: went to the store and got some groceries for a couple of days. got some frozen broccoli and cauliflower. cooked that up in the hotpot, added a can of pinto beans (I brought several cans of beans, soup, and nuts and seeds as my staples). split that with travel companion. To hers I added her salted peanuts. To mine I added hemp seeds. Oh, and while cooking I added some cumin, pumpkin pie spice, and fines herbs. I was hungry and this was satisfying. I also had a delicious ripe organic plum and some carrots. The store I went to didn't have a big selection of produce but what it had looked pretty good and some of it is organic. I've been able to get organic carrots on this trip (taste way better than conventional), and the plums are good.

Tomorrow I won't be on the internet. Here's the plan.

brekky: a weird salad with salad greens and asparagus! the asparagus is frozen but I expect will thaw overnight. I'm not sure what the consistency will be. But I love asparagus. The store didn't have any berries. and I'll add seeds and vinegar to the salad, as usual. and I'll probably want a plum, yum.

lunch: salad with greens, apples, walnuts, raisins (if I remember, I keep forgetting we have raisins), vinegar. some fruit. plum, or orange or both.

dinner: I'm thinking black-eyed peas with sweet potato and the last bell pepper from the garden. Hopefully that won't take too long to cook in the hotpot if we are late arriving. fruit. I got some bananas today but they'll take a couple of days to ripen.

No comments: