Sunday, October 18, 2009

the weekend

I'm not posting as much because I'm trying to get through my nutrition book (studying to be a nutritional excellence trainer). The good news is I'm on page. 400. The bad news is I still have over 200 pages to go. But I think the hardest stuff is over with and I can read a little faster. At least I'm telling myself that.

Yesterday I let myself eat less nutritionally. Not that it was bad; as it turned out it was pretty much all fruit. But it was fun. I think I'll let myself have treats like this on Sat. For brekky we had smoothies without spinach in them. So we had banana-cherry-blueberry smoothies with pistachio nuts in them. Very yummy. Then later on I made smoothies to freeze for next week. That was fun. I had stopped at the store and got pomegranates and grapes. Each smoothie had the usual seeds and 2 bags of frozen berries, plus 1 cup of orange-pomegranate juice and some grapes, and a bag of spinach. I added a little maple syrup to house-mate's. Each batch made 2 smoothies and had a little leftover which I drank. So that filled me up and I called that dinner.

Today for brekky I made a warm dish in the pressure cooker: chopped apple, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 beet, cranberries, raisins, cinnamon. Then I needed to cool it quickly because I realized I was running a little late so I added frozen blueberries. It was pretty good. I think I'd go without the sweet potato next time. the blueberries were a nice touch. Here's a picture before cooking:


















I forgot to snap one afterwards.

For lunch I had collard greens, brussels sprouts, and leek cooked in the pressure cooker (4 minutes) with pomegranate balsamic vinegar added. That is my favorite vinegar to add to collard greens. I also ate a can of cannelli beans. It was a good and filling lunch. I think I would have like beets with the greens too. I think I'm into beets this Fall. Last fall I was into sweet potatoes but this year I haven't found the local ones to be as good. They are jewel variety and I think I like garnet better.

Dinner was strange. I made some raw soups from the Boutenko family website: the Thai soup and cucumber dill-icious soup. Well, this is either something I don't like or an acquired taste. After tasting it for a while I started liking it more. I put it in small containers, so I wouldn't have to eat too much at one time, and froze them. I doubt I'll make them again, unless I acquire a taste for them as I try to finish them off. Since I didn't eat too much of the soups, I ate some carrots and celery and raw almonds, and a small orange and apple. And then I made up a snack that is actually really good: frozen peas and raw pumpkin seeks. Just eat it with a spoon. That was definitely the best part of my meal, well except for the apple and orange which were really good. I ended up eating too much, as usual probably because of the nuts and seeds.

2 comments:

The Crazy Woman Inside Me said...

I think it’s wonderful that you’re studying to become a nutritional excellence trainer! Your treats sound like very healthy ones. It’s nice to vary the diet a little now and then, as long as we stay within the parameters.

I love beets too and have been roasting them in the oven lately. I did that last week with brussels sprouts too. The roasting really brings out the natural sweetness.

kneecap said...

Hi Crazy Woman!

I've been enjoying following your blog. Yes, I'm excited about the NET. I just have to get through this and one other text book and I can start taking the exams.
I love roasted beets too! I'm going to start doing that very soon. We get really good local beets through much of the winter.

-barb