Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fasting review

Today I ended my fast at 4 pm. That was about 48 hours after starting. I was definitely more tired and low-energy today. I was tired driving so didn't think that was so safe (I'm on a road-trip with a companion). I only drove 2 hours, and that was after working 2 hours, so I needed a nap. After driving I napped and felt fine, so I could have worked it out with better planning. Still, I'm not sure you should drive after fasting more than one day. Driving on day 1 seems fine.

After settling into our B&B, I decided it would be good to end the fast. I was tired and weak, and wanted to get some food in my body so I'd have energy tomorrow. I didn't want to start breaking the fast tomorrow when I'll need energy right away. Plus I need to eat more tomorrow and get even more energy for mountain biking on Sat. For breaking the fast, Dr. Fuhrman recommends steamed zucchini or other easy-to-digest vegetables. Well, I didn't have the energy to go out and get veggies to steam (in the microwave), so I just ate an apple. It's not like I fasted for 10 days, and need to learn to digest again. It was just 2 days. A few hours later I had half a can of soup: Dr. Fuhrman's Morrocan chickpea soup. Beans aren't the easiest thing to digest, but it was a small amount and I feel fine. I'm not eating again until breakfast so there will be plenty of time to digest the beans. Then I think my options at breakfast will be oatmeal and fruit. Lunch and dinner will probably just be fruit or salad, because I'll be at restaurants. But I'll bring another can of soup and eat that at the office if I need to. Then tomorrow night, I plan to go to the grocery store to get food for the weekend. If I need to eat then, I will.

Oh, so what do I think of fasting? I don't know. One day is easy. Two days is kind of painful for me. I don't like feeling tired and weak. You definitely have to stay home and do nothing after day 1. I could see fasting from 6 pm one day to 7 am 1.5 days later, so 37 hours. That feels good and cleansing I guess, and doesn't impact my life too much. I could see skipping meals on travel days when you are just sitting on airplanes or in the car and not doing much, and there is no good food to eat anyway (unless I bring it myself). I could see skipping meals when you are out and about and there is no good food to eat anyway (unless I bring it myself). So I could see incorporating shorter fasts when it's inconvenient to eat anyway. That means you can get away with less planning. But if I'm doing something physically active, I need to bring food.

No comments: