Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Yummy Acorn Squash Supreme

This is taken from the Fuhrman recipe site but I modified it and want to remember my version, so I'm posting it here (Dr. Fuhrman will never know, right?). My version has more filling and more nuts. So if you are trying to lose weight, you probably should go for the recipe site version.

Ingredients:
1 medium acorn squash
5 Tbsp cut up dried mango
chopped fresh pineapple or 1 bag frozen (thawed in microwave)
2 Tbsp raisins
1/3 cup chopped raw pecans
cinnamon

Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and bake face down in 1/2" water for 45 minutes at 350 F.

While that's baking, take half the pineapples and puree them in the blender. I was too lazy to finely chop the mango, so I threw those into the blender with the pineapple pieces and pulsed it (blended for a second or two a few times) to dice the mango and pineapple some more. Easy peasy. Then I combined them all together with the raisins and nuts and let them soak while the squash cooked.

Once the squash is done, add the filling into the squash pieces' centers. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Place back in the pan and bake for another 30 minutes. Let it cool some before eating. It is yummy!

It looked better than this picture shows. I'll try again next time...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my. This looks like a great dish for Thanksgiving! I'm always looking for new ways to use mango.

Thanks for sharing.

kneecap said...

Hi fiona, I just checked out your blog. It makes me sentimental for my sheltie that I grew up with, from age 13 - 25. He was my pal.

Darryl said...

It looks wonderful, acorn squash is one of my favorites. I always find that pecans go very well with squash--- and with mango!--- so I would try your recipe with them as the nuts.

kneecap said...

Darryl, that is a great idea. I'm going to change the nuts to pecans and try it out next week. I love pecans.