Monday, November 1, 2010

this week's food

For the last few weeks, I've been in this sort of pattern for my weekday meals--that is, salads and bean soup, and my wonderful local carrots and kohlrabi. The salads have fruit in them along with veggies. This week I'm changing it up a bit.

Breakfast is bean soup, and a delicious pomegranate, and today I added in a kohlrabi because I realized I like them so much I may as well have two a day while they last. Oh, the pomegranate is soooo yummy. It's hard to believe, but this beats out ice cream from the old days.

Lunch is micro-salad--that post I'm linking to was written in the summer when fresh berries were plentiful. Now the fruit is apples, maybe an orange or grapefruit, maybe a pomegranate. I haven't had these in a while and I'm in the mood for them again. And I might have a little bean soup or a piece of fruit.

Dinner depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. Tonight will be a more rushed, so I will have a smoothie and some bean soup. When I have more time, like tomorrow, I'll have micro-salad and bean soup. Wednesday will be rushed again so another smoothie/soup day.


4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Barbara! I just wanted to say hello, because I realized I've been reading your blog for a few months now and have never left a comment. Thank you for posting what you eat! I found you by searching "nutritarian", and you really do inspire me! I am a total believer in the Fuhrman way, but I am having a very hard time going "all the way". I can usually do pretty well for breakfast and lunch, but then after dinner I almost always find myself eating bad stuff! (Although my husband and son are vegetarian, there is always some sort of unhealthy food in the house) Any tips that helped you when you first started out?

kneecap said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for posting! hmm, tips. I adopted this eating style gradually, motivated by how good I felt as I ate more and more healthy. So it didn't feel like a "have to" sort of thing, more like a "want to." Somehow I think that made it easier. At first I thought Dr. Fuhrman was crazy, but then the more I ate this way and experienced first-hand that it worked, the more I realized he was right all along so then I jumped in completely.

Unhealthy food can be a real temptation at first, so I feel for you. Believe it or not, after some time, it doesn't even look like food. It looks like alien artificial stuff, and when you see the bad health effects on everyone around you, that makes it even downright repulsive. But right now while it's still tempting to you, maybe you can ask your husband and son to help you out by being more discreet with their unhealthy food--placement and eating. I asked my housemate to hide the chocolate for a period of time when it was tempting me.

-barb

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm looking to make some changes in my own eating habits, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate the advice of this couple: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

I've started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I'm going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

-Amy

kneecap said...

Hi Amy,

thanks for the post. I'll check out the blog you mentioned!

-barb