Sunday, October 10, 2010

this week's beans

These are yummy!

You don't really need a recipe. The main ingredients are beans, carrot juice, vegetables of your choice, onions, and mushrooms (note that onions and mushrooms are great cancer fighting veggies). Here are the ingredients I used today, because of what is growing in my garden:

2 lbs beans (I randomly picked 1 lb lima and 1 lb tapiara from my Rancho Gordo selections)
>1 lb collards
1.5 lb mushrooms
>1 lb onions & shallots
1/2 lb eggplant
40 oz carrot juice
several cups water

I soaked the beans overnight, then cooked them in water while I was gone this morning--enough water to cover plus 3-4 inches above the beans. When I got home, I cooked everything else in the carrot juice and water. I let that cook for 2 hours probably, then added the beans. The beans are so creamy. Yum! Here it is in a 12-quart stock pot!




















Of course, you can half the recipe. But I'm cooking for the whole week. After it cooled, and we ate some for dinner, I poured the rest into about 15 tupperware bowls to freeze for separate meals this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy, thank you for the recipe idea. And good to see the blog is back on track! :-)

Best wishes,
T

Anonymous said...

Do you think this recipe could be prepared in a pressure cooker? If so, any advice? Thank you.

kneecap said...

Hey anon, I tried doing this in a pressure cooker and burned it. I like it thick, and that doesn't do well in the pressure cooker. You could cook the beans in the pressure cooker. I don't find it a problem to cook on the stove because my housemate watches the beans while I'm gone in the morning, and then for the rest, I don't mind doing other things while it's cooking.
-barb