Saturday, October 16, 2010

Daily salad

















I've been making great salads for my weekday meals. As I've posted before, on weekdays, I live on my bean soup from the freezer (made on the weekend) and salads. When I get tired of it, I'll do something else but for now I'm loving this. I make a big ole' salad every night and split it into three meals for the next day. Here's a post that describes this. The picture above shows one of the salads from last week. Here are typical ingredients used throughout the week this time of year (depends on what's fresh--right now, it's apples, pears, cruciferous veggies, greens, and pomegranates).

1 head romaine lettuce
3-6 oz cauliflower
3-6 oz broccoli
red bell pepper (optional)
1 cup frozen sweet corn (optional; note: organic snow pac is the sweetest I've found)
1 pint cherry tomatoes (if they are local and fresh and ripe)
a few oz kale and/or purple cabbage
1 small-medium apple
1 small-medium pear (our local pears are very small but delicious)
1 kiwi
seeds from a whole pomegranate (about 100 g, or 3.5 oz)
once a week, a grapefruit peeled and cutup instead of the some of the other fruit
juice from an orange
juice from a lime

I chop the cruciferous veggies first (kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage) and mix with the juice and seed mixture, to marinate a bit. Then chop up the lettuce and fruit, mix it all up together, and put it in my bowls for tomorrow's meals. For the lunch meal, I usually add 1/2 cup edamame. I eat the salads with sliced carrots and kohlrabi.

No comments: