Thursday, October 2, 2008

sept. 30 - oct 2 food

I'm super duper duper duper busy at work right now, basically working every waking hour, sleeping less than usual, and trying to mix in exercise when possible.    So I've been having green smoothie for breakfast and dinner, and making something for lunch.  Two days ago I made red beans and rice which is great because it's lasted 3 days.  I used the recipe from fatfreevegan.com which is excellent.  I just threw all the ingredients together and didn't bother to cook the onions and garlic separately--it's easier and when you don't use oil, I don't see why "frying" this stuff separately makes a difference.   I used a mix of  brown and wild rice I get from my co-op.  We had salad on the side (lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, all garden or local!) and orange-almond dressing (soak some almonds, blend them with fresh squeeze orange juice, easy and good!).   Today for lunch I baked a sliced ripe plantain (put it on a pizza pan, bake for 10 minutes on 350 F.  I don't remember the time actually.  when it starts smelling good and gets a little toasted, it's ready) and threw that on top of the red beans and rice.  It was a nice touch.  I also had steamed broccoli rabe with it.  That was the first time I ate that and it was pretty good.   Oh, I've also been eating carrots and apples to supplement the smoothies, not that I needed them but just wanted them.

My green smoothies have been the usual collard green smoothie, though today I did a spinach-berry smoothie since the store has locally grown delicious spinach now (fall harvest!).  It was excellent.   Tomorrow I'll be out and about so will probably have smoothies at breakfast and lunch and then will have to figure something out for dinner.  I have some edamame in the freezer so will probably do that.  I'll be hungry when I get home.

No comments: