Saturday, October 18, 2008

Oct. 16-18 food

Oct. 16
Breakfast:  green smoothie.  Lots of locally grown spinach at the co-op so it's been competing with my collard green smoothies.

Lunch:  mashed potatoes, broccoli & carrots.  dessert:  fresh cut pineapple (perfect ripeness, delicious).  small cup warm soy milk (made from my new soymilk maker which I love!).

Dinner:  Brussel sprouts (locally grown, yum) and some odds and ends (orange, pear, figs, carrot)

Oct. 17
Breakfast:  green smoothie

Lunch:  salad (lettuce, mushrooms, boiled and shelled edamame) with dressing (fresh squeezed orange juice, handful of walnuts, about 4 figs).  very yummy!   finished off with a small cup of warm soymilk (my coffee substitute).

Dinner:  this was surprisingly good:  I steamed brussel sprouts for about 15 minutes, added a bag of arugula and about 5 chopped figs for another 5-10 minutes.  added some vinegar (Dr. Fuhrman's black fig vinegar.  This sat for several hours (in the fridge) since I made it at lunch and I think that allowed the flavors to blend more.  Then I also had some leftover lunch salad.  And then I was full and should have stopped but I had some fruit salad too (strawberry, pineapple, grapes, pear, figs).  ugh.  I was too full.  so already failing on the Fuhrman plan.

Oct. 18.

Breakfast: wasn't hungry after too much food last night!

Lunch:  this was also surprisingly good:  I cooked up some quinoa (about 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water), with some chopped onion, Dr. Fuhrman's veggie zest (1 Tbsp or so), and later on in the cooking, some chopped mushrooms, and 1 cup each frozen peas and corn.  oh, and some chopped figs (can you tell figs are in season?).  These added a nice sweetness.  grapes or raisins would work too.  Total cooking time, about 30 minutes.  Then had some fruit salad--cut up strawberries, banana, apple, grapes, raisins, figs.   Lunch was a picnic at a nearby state park.  a beautiful day hiking and viewing the fall colors.

Dinner:  Green smoothie

I went grocery shopping tonight and there is so much great local produce now!  wow, so that's what I'll be eating the next several days.  About the only non-local vegetable I got was carrots because I want to make cabbage salad.  And lots of the fruit was non-local because I have to make a fruit salad for a breakfast gathering tomorrow.  But the apples and pears are local and much better.  All of this local produce is much better than shipped stuff.

No comments: