Monday, July 28, 2008

July 27 food

Today I was, well, not too bad, but not perfect. 

Breakfast:  apple on my way out the door (wasn't hungry yet).

Lunch:  half a small watermelon.   This was an ingenious plan.   I went to the grocery store after church and by this time I was very hungry and just bought the watermelon and ate it, and then went grocery shopping.  This way I didn't have to carry a watermelon home on my bike!  then when I got home I made a little fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries, ground flax seeds and juice from an orange.

snack:   cherries

Dinner:  As I said yesterday, I had a friend bring over some beer (wheat peach, not too bad) and I was wondering what we could snack on that would be healthy.  well, the obvious snack came to mind:  edamame and pesto.  It was perfect with beer.  And I just had one beer.

Dessert:  well, this wasn't intended but I ate some more of those chocolate chip oat cookies--4 of them (they are small but still).  They were better a day later.  But the chocolate chips don't count as healthy, and since I can't control myself, I'm not going to make them anymore.   I'll buy the sort-of healthy granola bars for UR and hopefully they will taste okay to her.  They really aren't that healthy, but it's better than cookies and chips.

Before the beer, I made a couple of batches of pesto since the basil plants in the needed harvesting.  I had a little basil leftover and no more almonds so made a really small batch with cashews instead.  It was really good.  My friend suggested trying the pesto without nutritional yeast so I'll do that next time, it will be fun.

I also made a whole bunch of smoothies and blueberry salad dressing (which I froze for later) because this week I'm in meetings all day and need to supply myself with lunch and breakfast, and maybe even dinner a few times.   More on that tomorrow.  Oh, but I did taste test all the smoothies and dressings.  

No comments: